Maximize Houdini Window Leaves a gap

RickW

Hi,

I'm having problem with the Houdini window not maximizing. It does not cover the entire desktop. There's about a 1-2 pixel gap between the left and right side from the iterface and screen. I verified and all my other applications maximize fine.

I searched this site and sidefx, but did not find a solution.

I'm using Fluxbox as my WM. I tried using KDE as my DE and noticed the same problem. I would prefer to use Fluxbox as it is more lightweight than KDE.

Thanks for your input.

/Rick

This problem exists in every WM and Linux Distro I have tried since I started using Houdini 5.5 on Linux. It used to bug me as well. I posted about it on the SESI forum a long time ago and got no solution. My soultion at the time was to chose a window decoration (CDE is a good one) and set the window border width wider. Now I just don't care anymore. I have a dark destop and I don't really do anything to make my desktop look spiffy; I no longer notice the gap.

I think most Linux users who use Houdini probably use Gnome, and I suppose maybe this problem doesn't exist in Gnome. I never tried Gnome. If it was a problem in Gnome maybe more people would complain about it. I use KDE and WindowMaker regularly, both of which have this probelm as do Enlightenment, Fluxbox and FWM, among others.

Thanks for the reply. I'll just deal with it then :)

BTW. I tried Gnome2 but had problems with window raising which would crash Houdini on exit. The save dailog would popup, the only solution I could find at that time was to kill metacity and install sawfish.

Anyways, I'm happy with Flux. I'll make my desktop dark as you mentioned and ignore the space.

Thanks again,

/Rick

I must say that I like the little space on the right. I don't have a startbar (well I have but it's hidden) and in full screen I can easily swich between programs by middle clicking in that little space. I don't know how it's on SGI but on some window managers it's good to have a little space for middle, right clicking on the desktop for some system operations (changing desktops aso)

anyway this is just my opinion about that little space

see ya

calin

Just an update. This 1-2 pixel gap problem has gone away now. I just installed the latest fluxbox-cvs and everything is resolved now for me.

All i have to do is maximize houdini when it is run. Oddly houdini doesn't launch maximized. No bigge.

Thanks,

/Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

Just curious to know what you did with your "keys" file on FB, reason being I'm not able to set keyframes using the Alt key. Alt is setup as a modifier to move windows around. I set everything from MOD1 to MOD4 but nothing seems to be working for me. What am I missing here?

Thanks

tallkien

PS nice to see that space reclaimed :) ... finally

Hi tallkien,

I have not even bothered with the keymappings. I haven't had a chance to mess with animation much since I got onto flux and thus I don't have the alt key problem as of yet. I hope to get to this issue soon though!

Right now your best bet is to to check out the fluxbox manual/faqs on their site or perhaps the gentoo forums.

Sorry I don't have a resolve for you,

/Rick

the alt+mouse button combos are hardcored in fluxbox. (or were at least a year ago, dunno if they changed that since then).

here's a link to a highend3d.com thread were i posted a patch which complety removes all alt+MB combinations. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

but you'd have to compile fluxbox from source, after applying the patch. No guarantee that it applies with newer versions though, this one was against fluxbox 0.10.

link

(in the second posting under that it's explained how to apply the patch, in case anybody wonders)

Cheers

Jens