Cloth - clothrefine 3D object

chiess

Hi,

Sorry for coming up with a newbie problem, but I am looking around for several solutions and could not find a satisfying one.

As the title says, I am working with cloth right now.

Unfortunately I am stuck right at the beginning, modelling the cloth mesh.

People told me, to get good cloth simulation results, I should clothrefine the mesh to get the delaunay triangulation pattern (attached image), which results in a more natural behaviour for the wrinkles.

Unfortunately the clothrefine tool only works for a 2D mesh (like a grid) and not for any 3D object. So, if I model a T-shirt and want to clothrefine it, it wont work. What is the best way to get a 3D object in this specific kind of triangulation?

I started building up single patches of the cloth mesh (like it is in real) and try to fuse the "seams". The troublesome part here is, the sleeves, which are like a grid and bended that the ends could be fused.

But if you bend a grid that you actually be able to get a perfect round shape, it stretches the mesh really strong and the whole mesh topology gets more or less useless.

I really appreciate it if someone can give me any advice on how to create proper cloth meshes for characters!

Thanks,

Chris

post-6580-130029911717_thumb.jpg

I thought most modellers start out with flat cloth panels and then "sew" them in place together? But then I haven't been paying attention for a while now. Just google for some tutorials. It doesn't have to be in Houdini.

yeah, flat cloth panels seems to be the way to go, thats why I was looking for a function (node) to automatically split up the geometry into patches (as in ikarus link suggested).

and it has to be in Houdini, no choice :) (is part of a project)

I was going more along of the lines that you *start* modelling from 2D cloth panels as opposed to starting with a 3D model. If you _must_ start from a 3D model, then you can try just copying the UV positions to 3D positions, Triangulate2D and then mapping the scattered points back into 3D. If you don't even have UVs, then you can just UVProject some. Another is to use UVPelt and make some cuts into your 3D model such that it can be laid out flat. Then apply the UV/3D position swapping trick.

PS. To map back the scattered points in 2D space into 3D space is more involved though. I have an example of this here:

http://forums.odforc...dpost__p__65511

thanks a lot edward

much appreciated!

so, Michiel's recommend to model it in one single mesh and use that - even quads should work better than a triangulated mesh, but then I suppose that it has to be subdivided multiple times to get a smooth looking result