ripple solver - high frequency

itriix

Hey everybody,

I'm currently playing around with the ripple solver and trying to get high frequency ripples by shooting metaballs copy stamped to particles, piped into a magnet, to "deform" the ripple surface, generating the ripples. The thing is, if I shoot a high number of particles, i get this permanent "dent" in the surface, until the emission stops or alternatively, a harsh up and down pop almost, of the metaball/surface intersection point, but it does generate a lot of ripples. If i space the particles temporally with less frequency to try and solve this, then I don't get enough ripples.... I essentially want to be able to have ONE impact, and have it generate like 8 thin, detailed, high frequency ripples... *or something along that line*

Can't wait to hear what you're thoughts are!

Jonathan

Yeah it seems so, but in order to get high frequency waves, i need to shoot the metaballs pretty fast... where "uneven" spacing, isn't really possible. I noticed that when I turned down my meta weight a bit, it helped... though the ripples begin to get a bit faint.

There is kind of a new problem i'm trying to solve now. I've come up with a few solutions, but none that i'm very happy with. Say I have an animation that's 100 frames and a bowl with a ripple surface in it. I want there to be ripples that have already occurred before frame 1... "that calls out pre-roll"... at say frame 50... I have some water droplets that hit the surface, and cause more ripples... which in turn reflect and do fun things with the ripples that were prerolled in. Here is where I get a bit curious... Now say the wave speed is too fast... I need to make it half as slow. But I still need the water droplets to hit the surface at frame 50 and cause ripples. So I cut my wave speed in half. I now preroll like 150 frames and see where the waves end up. seems with half the wave speed, the waves hardly moved... I battled with conservation and wave speed settings... and it seemed the only way to get the waves to run at the "half speed" and actually have reached the edge of the bowl... and allow my water droplet to hit at frame 50... is to preroll like 400 frames... So that led me to a couple different ideas.

I tried to scale down the water surface. run the ripple solver, with a lower wave speed, but it's technically "less" distance to travel.. and then invert transformation after the dop import. Seems to pretty much just be the same problem as before.

Later, since I just needed to get something done... I used a timewarp on the ripple surface... and slowed it down.... this doesn't solve the water droplet hitting at frame 50 though... because now it's been offset.

So, seems like I might just have to preroll a ton of frames and see where the waves end up!

Let me know if i'm thinking about this in a more complicated way than it really needs to be. Anything would be of help to me!

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks Macha,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Just been insane busy at the moment. I needed to get incredibly high frequency, very small wavelength, ripples. I found that to be incredibly hard to achieve!

Thanks,

Jonathan