root generator

Ezz

Hi good Houdini-folks.

I have been working on a root-generator in my sparetime. My goal is to make a procedual rootgenerator that can be used in most cases.

It is made of a combination of L-systems and several tricks to achieve the look.

But Im having some issues on how to make a smooth transistion between the roots and the stem. So I was wandering if any one of you could come with

some inputs on how to improve my setup.

Thanks a lot

Erik

roots_generator.hipnc

Nice roots.

You need to give the junctions some space. Getting polywire to do the right things with branches and roots in to trunks is to carefully manage how far the points are from the attach points and manage the width attribute correctly.

Have a look at what I did to your file.

To make this procedural, you know the width (your rwidth) attribute so you already know how many points to remove (just the width plus a smidge). I found that if you add a couple points closely placed with a bump up in width you can create better branches from thin to thick. I put user controls for width and separation to tweak in the joint areas.

One idea is to place a sphere at the junction point and radius set to the root point width then in a group SOP collect those points and blast them.

roots_generator_jw.hipnc