Challenge: Animating a fridge

Hi all,

I modeled a refrigerator and I need it to 'walk' like a zombie. There are to be no deformations(i.e the animation is not cartoony). Imagine there are two pivot points at the front left and front right of the fridge. Movement is to be achieved by rotating, first around one pivot, then around the second. I've tried various methods to no avail: parenting it to two nulls, using parent blend. I hope the question is clear. Please help.

Hi all,

I modeled a refrigerator and I need it to 'walk' like a zombie. There are to be no deformations(i.e the animation is not cartoony). Imagine there are two pivot points at the front left and front right of the fridge. Movement is to be achieved by rotating, first around one pivot, then around the second. I've tried various methods to no avail: parenting it to two nulls, using parent blend. I hope the question is clear. Please help.

hahahaha...

ok. I'll give it a try. be back.

I want to see a video of a walking zombie fridge when you're done!!

how to:

Two nodes to represent the feet.

Rotate the fridge to lookat one foot.

Position the fridge on the center of a line between the two feet.

Animate the two nodes that represent the feet, and the fridge will walk.

As Easy as 3.14159 :)

the-walking-fridge.hipnc

Edited by hopbin9

I want to see a video of a walking zombie fridge when you're done!!

how to:

Two nodes to represent the feet.

Rotate the fridge to lookat one foot.

Position the fridge on the center of a line between the two feet.

Animate the two nodes that represent the feet, and the fridge will walk.

As Easy as 3.14159 :)

Wow! That was quick. Thanks a ton! I've spent days banging my head against a wall.

Did you use scripts? Unfortunately, I suck at it. New to Houdini.

Could you elaborate a bit on what you did, please.

Here's the concept art. I'm going to integrate them into a live backplate(the tunnel).post-6694-130323629568_thumb.jpg

Could you elaborate a bit on what you did, please.

Looks at the translate and rotate parameters of the fridge at the scene level.

I translate the fridge to a middle point between the two feet. (v1+v2)/2 where v1 and v2 are the positions of the feet. Once the fridge is reposition, it is then a simple lookat rotation to one of the feet. So as the fridge moves it will rotate to keep inline with the target foot.

You could add another target to define the upvector for the lookat. So that you can give the fridge another axis to animate on.

You can also do the exact same setup with a little use of the Blend Object.

In the attached file to get the point in between the two objects you just blend between the positions. To get the rotations you can use some underlying nulls that look from one object to the other and the rotate 90 degrees to be perpendicular to the line. Just because I added a control on the subnet to allow you to rotate the objects around the line as well.

the-walking-fridge.hipnc

You can also do the exact same setup with a little use of the Blend Object.

In the attached file to get the point in between the two objects you just blend between the positions. To get the rotations you can use some underlying nulls that look from one object to the other and the rotate 90 degrees to be perpendicular to the line. Just because I added a control on the subnet to allow you to rotate the objects around the line as well.

yea, that's cool. I totally forgot there was a lookat option on the transform.

I was thinking it would be good to add some dynamics to the fridge. So as it took steps it rocked a little as if it was really heavy, but I'm to lazy to go at that now.