cvex and vex volume procedural questions.

itriix

Hello all,

I'm using a cvex, vex volume procedural, and billowy smoke on a volume. I was just curious how in the cvex, i could have a fade off from the center of camera" outwards...

I essentially have a noisey volume at the moment, all done in the cvex with noise... I'm sure I did it wrong, but I was trying to use a transform vop in the cvex to take the position of the volume, and change it to camera space... and multiply that with the volume... but it's definitely not right. it made two grid like slices through the center of the volume like target cross-hairs.

Well anyways, if someone has a solution, i'd love to hear it!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Edited by itriix

for the time being, i took the bounding box in x and y, plugged each to a ramp and multiplied that with the noisey volume. That makes a hole with falloff, in the center bbx and bby of the volume. This only works well for a camera translating in z... still looking for a way to have this all cam based.

thanks tjeeds, i'll look into that.

in the meantime. i'm getting a result that i do not expect that does not look like my viewport.

using cvex, i'm creating a noisey volume... i want a tunnel that goes through the volume... so for the time being, I took the bounding box in x and the bouding box in y... and then used a ramp on each of them, to take the .5 values to 0... and ramp up to 1 on both sides of .5... i then add the two together and multiply the "noisey volume" by this added bounding box, ramp combination... In my viewport, I get what i want. a noisey volume with a hole in the middle. when i render it though, i keep getting volume where the HOLE is... i've tried making my ramps much more extreme on the bounding box ramping... the viewport shows the hole getting larger, but once again, when I render... it's like it did nothing.

Does anyone have any clue what could be the cause of that?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hello all, i've made a simplified version of what i'm talking about. I'm still quite stuck trying to understand if this is a bug or if i'm just simply doing something wrong.

Hi j. it seems like the problem is coming from the bounding box global variable 'BB' not being properly defined in the rendertime cvex context but working correctly in the sops cvex context.

it works fine if you calculate the 'tunel' another way. here's one way to do it, using the length of p (projected into 2d) and a smoothstep.

volume_atmosphere_tunnel_odforce_bb.hip

post-4364-130349001662_thumb.jpg