A render/viewport switch?

hopbin9

Hi,

You can define two different SOP nodes to be the output for rendering and the other for viewports, but I find I often have to repeat a lot of my SOP network just to generate a low-res version for the viewports.

What would be good is if I could use a Switch to control render/viewport detail levels.

Is something like that possible?

What about using two Copy SOPs and stamp different levels of detail?

Oh, it took me a minute to understand what you mean, but I think I get it. It's a very clever idea.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

EDIT: I don't think that will work, because the Stamp function needs to reference the Copy SOP, but I would need two Copy SOPs. Wouldn't I?

Edited by hopbin9

EDIT: I don't think that will work, because the Stamp function needs to reference the Copy SOP, but I would need two Copy SOPs. Wouldn't I?

If you never intend on displaying (or otherwise use their data) both of them at the same time, then you can just use ".." as the copy sop path in your stamp() expressions. Now that I think about, I think Jason Iversen might have been the one who told me about this usage scenario a long time ago.