Mixing different types of fluids

Annon

Ok so my first initial thought is it can't be done, but I'm hoping I will be proved wrong.

If had a volume liquid at origin and a sphere above it, could I get flip fluid particles to drip from the sphere and make splashes in the volume liquid?

I wouldn't need to keep the flip fluid for interaction, they could be killed on impact. But having the volume fluid react would be good...

Any thoughts?

Christian

I think this can definitely be done. But why do you want to mix the volume fluid with the flip fluids?

Why not go all flip? The general movement of flip is calculated based on a volume. Also based on where the particles are born from you can give them different attributes and make them behave differently in the same sim in the same flipfluid object.

Kinda like what I did here:

http://www.vimeo.com/21324139

But instead of using particles as air, you designate them as rocks or something similar and emit them from above.

A splash is the result of a collision and the resulting velocity of that collision. Let's say you want to spray water at a cloud of smoke. The water particles are much heavier and should not be influenced by the smoke that much. But the smoke should react a lot more.

So you could extract the velocity of your flip particles with a gasParticleToField or a vop with a pointcloud. You could then mask this field with the density of the smoke, so only when the particles are inside the smoke they will have effect.

But the main problem I think you will have is resolution. Dealing with splashes on a large surface is tricky. You don't really want to sim that in a single simulation, but instead mix in several sims (several volumes with different dimensions and resolutions). With the adaptive volume surfacer in sops I think there are some posibilities to avoid having a super dense mesh everywhere.

Have a look at 00:24 in this video:

They mix an ocean surface with an sph simulation (granted those are custom tools, but surely possible with HOT (or even your own displaced surface) and flip fluids). I think the main idea being that the small particles don't disturb the movement of the big surface that much. The more interaction the harder it gets - I think a person jumping in a small swimming pool might be a worst case.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm trying to mix them because I have a character interacting with a room size volume of fluid, which I thought could be easily done with volume fluids and FLIP seemed a bit too slow doing that. Then I'm going to be having FLIP fluids emitting from the character and flowing down him. I'd do it all in FLIP, but it just seemed quicker to do it in Volumes+FLIP.

Some great links there, I like the look of FIdo's FTrack, wish most studio's could have something as swish as that...

Will look into some of the things you mentioned when I get back in front of the Workstation.

Thanks again

Christian

You could use the sculpt fluid from surface shelf tool to quickly fill up your room with FLIP fluid and then set the particle seperation of those to be bigger than your detailed character fluid sim.

Should hopefully give you nice interaction and not toooo terribly slow sim times.

Offtopic: My friend wrote Fidos sph solver :)