Fracturing Glued Object

Morbid

Hi everybody,

I working on a project were I have to collapse a lighthouse. I'm am trying to combine dynamic fracturing with a glued object but I cannot get it to work.

I now have the main tower, upper part (an rbd object) with several objects glued to it. Once the tower hits the rock (see screenshot) all other objects fall of, but I want them still to stick to the tower. I tried a very high glue setting and also -1 which should cause them to never break but this doesn't work.

If I pre-fracture and turn the main tower upper part into an glue object the dynamic voronoi fracture doesn't seem to work anymore.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Maykel

post-4272-13045174259_thumb.jpg

Hi Maykel,

I had to do something like this for a recent project and i would recommend you to try pre-fracturing your object and using glue object (without fracture dinamics).

Here's a really quick test, if i underestand what you're saying it should help, i hope :)

frac.hipnc

Hi Maykel,

I had to do something like this for a recent project and i would recommend you to try pre-fracturing your object and using glue object (without fracture dinamics).

Here's a really quick test, if i underestand what you're saying it should help, i hope :)

That method should work, but I especially wanted it to do with dynamic fracturing instead of pre-fracturing!

If I don't get it to work correctly soon than I will use your method for sure, thnx. :)

I now have the main tower, upper part (an rbd object) with several objects glued to it. Once the tower hits the rock (see screenshot) all other objects fall of, but I want them still to stick to the tower. I tried a very high glue setting and also -1 which should cause them to never break but this doesn't work.

If I pre-fracture and turn the main tower upper part into an glue object the dynamic voronoi fracture doesn't seem to work anymore.

The problem could be that dynamic fracturing actually creates new DOP objects for the individual pieces, with new names. So if you have objects that are glued to the "tower" object, after fracturing that object might be named "tower_piece_1" or something, so the object the pieces were glued to no longer exists, and they fall off.

You might be able to work around that, but it might be easier to pre-fracture the tower and use dynamic fracturing for just the secondary pieces. If you search the Houdini help for "FractureExamples", that brings up an example file with several different fracture examples in it, one of which is a simple glue/fracture one called "glue_fracture". That might help.