Houdini Fluid Fields

Ole

Hello Odforce.

I am currently trying to wrap my brain around art directing smoke and fluids, and I would like to ask you to help me out with some issues that I am having troubles with understanding.

I'm creating an effect where smoke has to travel from a source (nothing fancy) along a path. It has to maintain its volume and still look fluid-like (lots of turbulence). At the end of the path, it has to flow into a deforming recognizable shape. Currently I am able to have the smoke follow the path using a custom velocity field, but I am having issues with the rest. I've read a little about divergence and gradient fields, but don't know where they fit in in my situation. I've also looked at the "smoke path follow" videos on vimeo, but I don't really understand how to make use of the information provided :( My deadline is quite tight considering the task, so I figured I'd ask you guys before the situation gets really hairy. If you have any insight, files or bookmarks laying around, please do share.

Thanks,

Ole

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Hello Odforce.

I am currently trying to wrap my brain around art directing smoke and fluids, and I would like to ask you to help me out with some issues that I am having troubles with understanding.

I'm creating an effect where smoke has to travel from a source (nothing fancy) along a path. It has to maintain its volume and still look fluid-like (lots of turbulence). At the end of the path, it has to flow into a deforming recognizable shape. Currently I am able to have the smoke follow the path using a custom velocity field, but I am having issues with the rest. I've read a little about divergence and gradient fields, but don't know where they fit in in my situation. I've also looked at the "smoke path follow" videos on vimeo, but I don't really understand how to make use of the information provided :( My deadline is quite tight considering the task, so I figured I'd ask you guys before the situation gets really hairy. If you have any insight, files or bookmarks laying around, please do share.

Thanks,

Ole

Are you talking about this when you mention vimeo videos? http://vimeo.com/11194348

One basic technique is animate a whole bunch of particles, emit smoke from them, make sure the smoke is dissipating really fast. Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

i think what he means is using tangents to direct motion of fluid and using gradients to constrain the fluid to a space

essentially a gradient field is a vector field that "points" towards the surface of a levelset, in fluid fx context it allows you to "push" fluid into a shape thats defined by a sdf, since the gradient field is pointing towards the sdf surface

houdini 11 added a few assets for the "Attract Fluid" shelf tool which do exactly this, specifically Gas Target Force, i added a simple example file with tangent velocity fields and the gas target force showing this

someone can probably explain this better than me, though

fluidconstraint.hip

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies.

Emitting smoke from particles was not an option for several reasons. Mainly because it has to look like the fluid it self is moving and not being emitted along the way, and second because particle emission tends to be very noisy (in my experience).

The Attract Fluid tool is what I am using in my current setup also. However, a couple of new issues and revelations appeared. The main issue now is to have the fluid take the shape of the goal object. It is just too much smoke being emitted for it to fit on the smaller object. Unfortunately, the emission amount can not be reduced. I also had issues with the fluid not settling at the goal, but this can be tweaked with Velocity Dampening in the Pyro Solver.

Another issue is also the Curve -> empty space -> goal handoff. The transistion between the forced velocity stage and attraction stage is very hard to get right (the smoke mushrooms at the end of the path), so I tried to adapt the velocity setup to be a force instead. In my tests, it didn't work very well because the smoke gets smeared out along the curve and it doesn't follow the curve good enough. So, that's where I stand right now. I am also looking into simulating the whole thing backwards, but am afraid the motion won't be as nice and natural.

• 2 weeks later...