Real Time Finite Element simulation

xuisp

Hey everyone,

I'm an experienced C/C++ programmer new to Houdini and Python and I was wondering if you guys could help me determine if my project is feasible using Houdini.

Basically, I'm going to be creating a mesh of a human brain modelled via Finite Element Methods and design a program that can render the brain while allowing for real time force input to model deformation. I'll be using GPU programming techniques for efficient processing of the deformation.

So, is it possible (and if so what methods would you recommend) to send input to Houdini or call Houdini methods from the C program - that updates the mesh - in order to render and essentially display it? The model will essentially be defined by a set of nodes (not to be confused with Houdini nodes) in 3D space.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hey everyone,

I'm an experienced C/C++ programmer new to Houdini and Python and I was wondering if you guys could help me determine if my project is feasible using Houdini.

Basically, I'm going to be creating a mesh of a human brain modelled via Finite Element Methods and design a program that can render the brain while allowing for real time force input to model deformation. I'll be using GPU programming techniques for efficient processing of the deformation.

So, is it possible (and if so what methods would you recommend) to send input to Houdini or call Houdini methods from the C program - that updates the mesh - in order to render and essentially display it? The model will essentially be defined by a set of nodes (not to be confused with Houdini nodes) in 3D space.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hey there,

You can simply link your program to any of HDK libraries keeping it either as a standalone application or making it Houdini native operator harnessing your own code. In a former case, you're free to use all goodies from HDK as long as your app will have an access to Houdini license (although in most cases Apprentice license should be ok assuming you project follows Apprentice restrictions). In a latter case, obviously all visualizing and rendering is done natively by Houdini thus can spare you some work.

Generally speaking Houdini's HDK has a huge geometry library supporting quite of few topological structures plus mip-mapped/tiled volume primitives, all nicely packed under single gdp object. And this is only tip of the iceberg. This might help in any case.