Inherit angular velocity?

Netvudu

hi there,

I´m trying to pass both velocity and angular velocity from SOPs to a DOP fracture object so I can control the intial velocity based on the normals of the object.

I had no problem to inherit the velocity values (even if the attribute is called v in SOPs and vel in DOPs, which did take me off guard). Now, how do I pass the angular velocity? It doesn´t seem to work at all...

Here´s the hip file for you to check my issue.

TestBox.hipnc

I am not sure it is expecting angular velocity

I think it is calculating linear and angular velocity of the object from point velocity "v"

so if you want angular velocity to spin each fragment in certain direction you can easily recreate it in ForEach and add to linear v

here is an example

TestBox_fix.hipnc

Hey thanks. I just checked the hip file.

It´s quite controversial, because it´s very nice and it gives a lot of wonderful control over the amount of rotation, but I must admit I find it quite convoluted just to add some angular velocity to an object. The VOP node is very interesting, specially as an study case, but just for trying out stuff I went the "cheap" way with a Uniform force that adds random torque to every object activated just in a couple of frames and I achieved almost the same effect with just one DOP node.

In fact I´d swear it is faster to both setup and get the required look, so the question remains on whether VOP tricks are always the answer.

Of course, I still thank you heaps for both your help and the file. You clearly know your stuff :)

EDIT: And after some more time on it, it´s painfully obvious that for my approach is even easier to add an RBD State and input an angular velocity myself and just play with the Activation parameter <_<

I can see this approach being less useful when the stuff gets broken over a longer amount of frames, and there I would have to play with grouping and/or masks inside DOPs, whereas the VOP method would still work flawlessly...decisions, decisions...

Edited by Netvudu

it was just answer to question how to let RBD State DOP pick up angular velocity from SOPs, not a recommended workflow, however it may be handy to know that

it's of course easier to do that in DOPs if you're just assigning random velocity, on the other hand there are situations where SOP way is the way to go