Sticky Particle Fluid

arsenyg

I have a simple Particle Fluid Simulation, a kind of liquid with high viscosity.

Is there a way to make it very sticky? I need it to follow a surface of an Object it collides with.

Convert the collision into an SDF volume and within VOPs user the VolumeGradient and VolumeSample to "stick" the particles back to the surface. Gradient gives you the vector to the nearest surface and Sample gives you the distance. If you have a multiplier on the sample node you can stick it back by a percentage, maybe based on normals etc...

I have a scene kicking around somewhere, I'll try and find it if no-one else has one to show.

Christian

This is the video that show the asset work:

Thanks Pazuzu ;)

I need to go back and have a proper look at that, it worked a treat for a test I had to do, thanks for sharing it, it really helped a lot.

This is based on SPH/DOP fluids and works really nicely. If you want something a bit simpler with "dumb" particles, just check out the bit in Pazuzu's POPNetwork where it's got the VolumeGradient and VolumeSample nodes.

Basically you just need the Gradient (the direction to the nearest bit of the volume) and the sample (the distance to it). Multiply them together and add it back to the point (Either Velocity or Position etc).