Complex fracture sim efficiently into manageable parts?

Hi,

I'm working on a personal project where I'm "destroying" a mansion that I've modeled in Houdini 11. It has a lot of different parts in it. I've attached a picture of it. In addition to the exterior there's a little bit (though a lot less) of detail on the inside. I assume that if I sim everything in one network that the sim time will be foreeeever. So I was wondering if anybody has any tips for making the sim time more manageable.

One thing I can think of is grouping major groups of the house together and simulating pieces separately. For example, the front columns would all be 1 group. The facade of the building would be a 2nd group. The railing around the porch would be a 3rd group. Then I could just simulate each group fracturing separately then render out to a .bgeo sequence.

The only problem I see with that is I'm worried that the different ALREADY sim'd groups of geom won't interact with each other. Like, let's say I have the main wall of the mansion fractures and the pieces fly towards the columns. Well let's say that I save just the main wall pieces into a mainwall$F.bgeo sequence. Well, I'm worried those mainwall$F.bgeo pieces will just go through the columns and not interact or be able to fracture the columns.

I've tried a little test of this setup. I fractured a simple box and saved out the result into a .bgeo sequence. I then imported that .bgeo sequence into a new geo node. I then made that new geo node into an RBD object. I then created just a simple sphere that I wanted to interact with the new geo node. Although the sphere and that new geo node don't interact. I assume it's because the new geo node has no velocity attributes associated with it. Although I'm not really sure how to do that either.

Sorry if this is a little confusing, I can clarify a bit more but basically I'm just looking for any advice in splitting up a complex simulation that involves fracturing. Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to attach picture.

I just started seriously putting some time into learning Houdini about a month ago, and I can tell you that just opening the example files (accessible via the help file) that are provided for each specific node have made a world of difference.

It's absolutely possible to have all of these objects interact with eachother. You're going to be using the "merge node" quite a bit, with the relationship set to "collision", then pipe your two (or more) RBD objects into this merge DOP, and then plug the output of the merge DOP into the input of your RBD solver downstream.

Caching stuff separately is a good idea, especially from the inside out - the inside structure which will not really get displaced by the smaller things it is breaking (ie - sim the column, then bring that bgeo back in, then have those heavy rocks smash the wooden railings, while saving sim time by only really simulating the railing as an active object).

Post your file if you like, the guys here are extremely helpful and most of them will fix your file, then repost it for you.

Good Luck!

Best,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...