Swtich from solid to fractured in RBD sim, with DOPimport working?

dangerweenie

Hi all,

I'm having a problem keyframing a solid object to a pre-fractured voronoi object right before impact with a surface, then bringing it back in via DOPimport.

I have "use deforming geometry" turned on to ensure that the RBD object in the DOP network reads the SOP every single frame, and picks up on the switch's keyframe from solid->fractured object right before it collides.

The DOPimport doesn't seem to know how to handle going from a single object to all the "pieces". I think my problem may lie in the object masking. For the time being, I've just set it to "*".

I'm doing this because the sim times are getting ridiculous ... I'm smashing 4 pre-fractured spheres against a wall. They each have about 25 pieces to them. The animation is 120 frames long, with a time scale of .065.

Simulation is taking about 6 hours (no thanks to it being single threaded :( ... gotta learn VEX).

That being said, does anyone have any general advice for "switching" solid objects to fractured objects right before impact? I did it with a switch as in a Digital Tutors example, but it didn't work out. The scene file they provided was actually throwing lots of errors. Sheesh.

have u tried with RBD keyframe Active dop, In this u can control each piece separately, and control activation by using dopfield() expression...

Or try "Magnet Metaballs" example in houdini help.

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, basically I need the fragmented sphere to be in the same position as the simulated solid sphere right before it shatters. I know that "inherit velocity" comes into play here somewhere in order to get the glue objects to be in the same place and going at the same speed at the moment that the switch is turned on, but I'm not sure exactly how to set it up. So far everything I've tried has failed.

Also, when you create glue RBD object automatically via shelf tool, are there nodes that are locked off by default that one would need to manipulate to achieve this effect?

I am going to try and put together a smaller example file to post demonstrating what I am trying to do.

Thanks again for the help!

Matt