Ptex and Mari - after reading Houdini 11 and Ptex :)

Hi all!

I'm trying to use Mari to paint the textures in my model (submarine).

I'm using the PTex "function" in Mari so this way I can save time and not UV map my model, which would cause me some trouble and time lost.

The thing is... after importing the .obj into Mari and paint it and export it as .ptx (or .ptex) and applying it, either to a Mantra surface shader or one built by me just with the Ptexture node attached to the diffuse color channel I only get a badly painted surface, with some parts missing the paint...

I used the reverse Sop, as indicated and even dived into the shader to change it, as advised on the Mudbox to Houdini (Ptex, of course) tutorial.

And I keep getting this:

submarineFail.jpg

And this on the command line:

@w23825:~$ mantra: VEX error: Unable to open ptexcolor.vex Path not found

mantra: VEX error: Unable to load ptexcolor Path not found

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by J.Santos

Hi all!

I'm using the PTex "function" in Mari so this way I can save time and not UV map my model, which would cause me some trouble and time lost.

The thing is... after importing the .obj into Mari and paint it and export it as .ptx (or .ptex) and applying it, either to a Mantra surface shader or one built by me just with the Ptexture node attached to the diffuse color channel I only get a badly painted surface, with some parts missing the paint...

I used the reverse Sop, as indicated and even dived into the shader to change it, as advised on the Mudbox to Houdini (Ptex, of course) tutorial.

And I keep getting this:

submarineFail.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

I don't know about the VEX error, but I do know Ptex doesn't like triangles, at least in Houdini....Are those areas triangulated?

Hi all!

And I keep getting this:

submarineFail.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

I don't know about the VEX error, but I do know Ptex doesn't like triangles, at least in Houdini....Are those areas triangulated?

Well... Rurik was right, I think!

I downloaded the trial version of 3D Coat (looks a very cool app, by the way!) and tried to paint something on and... same results as with Mari! When I did a simple object, with quads all over... it was a breeze to make it work!

So my next step (I cannot afford to loose much more time on this) is to try to paint pieces of the sub, one at a time, since the sub is basically 5 different parts... I can export them out as .obj individually and test out... Fingers crossed! (Or export the UV's from the automatic 3D Coat UV tool... ) Of course that I don't know if that works and will have to test also...

Edited by J.Santos

Well... Rurik was right, I think!

I downloaded the trial version of 3D Coat (looks a very cool app, by the way!) and tried to paint something on and... same results as with Mari! When I did a simple object, with quads all over... it was a breeze to make it work!

So my next step (I cannot afford to loose much more time on this) is to try to paint pieces of the sub, one at a time, since the sub is basically 5 different parts... I can export them out as .obj individually and test out... Fingers crossed! (Or export the UV's from the automatic 3D Coat UV tool... ) Of course that I don't know if that works and will have to test also...

Great!

I'd love to know more about your workflow once you get it sorted, I'm looking into it myself...

Hi rurik!

Been checking on it a bit every day (have to do the rest of the stuff so I can't work on it all the time) and I'm starting to get the feeling that there are more then tri's to this...

My object is made of several objects merged together and some are intersecting/overlapping and that I suspect is making the mess... at the moment I'm using 3D Coat and there's no problems in certain areas (that I divided in smaller objects) while other parts of the mesh, despite being clean, show problems...

My next step is to obj them all as separate pieces and test out again... I'll post the results here!

Hi again rurik!

At the moment I kind of gave up of 3D Coat and PTex, but only because I was loosing precious time.

The only recommendation that I can give is to not do like me and think ahead... If your object is composed of several objects merged together, think about keeping them as clean (quads) as possible and write them out as objs so you can paint them...

I managed to paint my sub with one material, using the fill selection tool and it sort of looked ok... 3D Coat has lot's of cool ways of doing stuff, you can even open the layers in Photoshop (or any other 2D paint app) with one click and when you paint and save your image you go back to 3D Coat and it will update...

But all depends on how well you planned and kept the geo clean... :(

You can retopo also...

But time is ticking so... next time I'll know better!

See ya!

Hi again rurik!

At the moment I kind of gave up of 3D Coat and PTex, but only because I was loosing precious time.

The only recommendation that I can give is to not do like me and think ahead... If your object is composed of several objects merged together, think about keeping them as clean (quads) as possible and write them out as objs so you can paint them...

I managed to paint my sub with one material, using the fill selection tool and it sort of looked ok... 3D Coat has lot's of cool ways of doing stuff, you can even open the layers in Photoshop (or any other 2D paint app) with one click and when you paint and save your image you go back to 3D Coat and it will update...

But all depends on how well you planned and kept the geo clean... :(

You can retopo also...

But time is ticking so... next time I'll know better!

See ya!

Thanks for the update!

This is kind of unknown or un-documented territory, so definitely keep everybody posted if you discover any new workarounds...

Alex