Smoke Dust Trails

rogerchiaw

Hi there,

i'm wondering if anyone out there could suggest a method to approach creating smoke/dust trails similar to the video?

I've tried messing about particles smoke and the end result looks more like clouds than these smoke trails.

your kind suggestions will be very much appreciated.

sample video

For starting out, you could do a source from object using the pyro tools. The object would be the debris falling.

As with everything there are several approaches.

Basically the pyrotools will take your objects, convert to an fogvolume and use that as your particle source.

Another idea is to emit particles from the debris, then emit smoke from the particles. The fluid can inherit all sorts of attributes from the particles like velocity, size..etc.

A far more advanced technique is to generate a custom velocity field from the falling debris and use that to drive the fluids. You can generate custom vorticles from the falling debris and use that to enhance the effect of the dust swirling around the fluid. There is a video describing the technique here:

http://www.nafees.net/s2010/binzafar-2012_LA_destruction-10.pdf

I know I'm not giving you any implementation details but I would start simple (source from object) and go from there, maybe post a sample scene and let people hack at it.

Hi there,

i'm wondering if anyone out there could suggest a method to approach creating smoke/dust trails similar to the video?

I've tried messing about particles smoke and the end result looks more like clouds than these smoke trails.

your kind suggestions will be very much appreciated.

sample video

hahjust realized that video doesnt show the smoke stuff they did for 2012. I know it was discussed during the talk.. wonder if there is a video regarding the smoke sim stuff.

Anyway basically they were churning up the dust using a custom velocity field.

cheers for the reply and wonderful tips.

guess i forgot to mention i'm a newbie in the immense world of houdini, I will certainly check out your suggestions however i still wonder if my machine will be able to handle it.

i'll post up a sample file soon. Probably tonight when i get to a certain (respectable to shown to the community) level.

Meddled about with particle emitting smoke and my machine went into temporary hibernation.

cheers again.