Rendering in mantra without filtering?

Hi!

How do I get rid of my texture filtering when rendering?

My colour pass is looking so bad even though my mantra render node is using a catmull rom filter. Is there anywhere that I've gone wrong? It does seem that the texture is already being filtered even before the renderer filter.

Hi!

My colour pass is looking so bad even though my mantra render node is using a catmull rom filter. Is there anywhere that I've gone wrong? It does seem that the texture is already being filtered even before the renderer filter.

have you already adjusted the filtering parameter on the texture vop? you should turn down the filter width if you haven't. are you raytracing? micropoly rendering introduces a layer of filtering by it's nature, so raytracing is going to give you sharper results. if you must use micropoly rendering, turn up your shading quality.

good luck.

Hi!

1. If you render with micropoly mode, and it's blurring your textures unreasonable, increase dicing quality for that object. The default "1" is too not enough for high detailed shading and often too low for production.

2. If you want to turn off texture filtering at all, call a texture() function with 8 (not 2) uv float coordinates. Specifying texture patch of size 0, you tell mantra to proceed with point sampling (no pixel averaging what so ever). Note, this is most likely bad idea. Texture filtering in reyes renderers are extremely good quality and guaranties no alias artifacts.

3. Another option practiced when textures are projected on a flat surface facing camera (no transformation) is to turn off Gouraud shading for that object. This is controlled by vm_smoothcolor render parameter and prevent from additional filtering due to micopolygons discrete size.

cheers,

skk.

Hey thanks everyone.. it really helped!

But I am pretty confused because as I increase the micropolygon dicing, it slows down my render.. but all I want is just my colour pass with no shading. So I am just wondering why it would take so long just to get out a colour pass or even a specular pass..

Hey thanks everyone.. it really helped!

But I am pretty confused because as I increase the micropolygon dicing, it slows down my render.. but all I want is just my colour pass with no shading. So I am just wondering why it would take so long just to get out a colour pass or even a specular pass..

Dicing controls the size of micro-polygons. The higher its value == the smaller they are == the more of them are created and shaded. Mantra shades every of its corner, thus you see slowdown, but in case of basic shading this shouldn't be much difference. How much you increased dicing? I think anything beyond 3 is too high... Note, you should do this only for that object, not globally on MantraROP.

Did you check filtering option on a TextureVOP (as Brian suggested). AFAIK the default is Box filtering, the cheapest and the least accurate. Try something like Catmull-Rom or Michel.

Is your object flat source (screen-like) or common geometry? Do you use *.rat files?

Dicing controls the size of micro-polygons. The higher its value == the smaller they are == the more of them are created and shaded. Mantra shades every of its corner, thus you see slowdown, but in case of basic shading this shouldn't be much difference. How much you increased dicing? I think anything beyond 3 is too high... Note, you should do this only for that object, not globally on MantraROP.

Did you check filtering option on a TextureVOP (as Brian suggested). AFAIK the default is Box filtering, the cheapest and the least accurate. Try something like Catmull-Rom or Michel.

Is your object flat source (screen-like) or common geometry? Do you use *.rat files?

Hey thanks! It was the tga files that were slowing my renders. After changing it to rat it became way faster. Thanks again!