shadow map issue

junyd

Hi all,

does houdini writes light's shadow map files while rendering or while writing lows and up res caches?

i am writing low res right now and for some reason houdini doesnt save any shadow map into the specified folder. can i just define the shadow map folder to any location( drive) or do i have to change the env parameter so that houdini knows the location to pick up the shadows files. while individual renders i wasnt getting any shadows on the smoke, plus there was this error mantra stops working.

Shadow maps are usually saved to the location specified on the lights. Defaults are temp:$OS.rat but you can choose any location. You can also tell the light to pick up already rendered maps (autogenerate? Can't remember right now). Some parameters such as blur do not need rerendering of the maps by the way. You can also get at the maps seperately from inside a vop if you need to.

Also, it's useful to know that you can load the files into mplay and check for any problems.

Edited by Macha