Modeling a tire

kurisutofu

hello,

I've been trying Blender in parallel with Houdini and I could create a tire very quick thanks to blender's array and curve modifiers.

Then I thought that should be something very easy to do in Houdini but when I tried, I couldn't do it ...

I created a plane with the shape as a model for the tire, then used sweep on a circle. It's almost there but the plane doesn't curve to adjust to the circle's curve and it looks like solid plate tangent to the circle... how can I do that?

Er, picture? The Sweep SOP orients according to the local space of the geometry you're sweeping such that it's -Z axis is tangent to the curve. So if you want to change how the Grid (which I assume what you mean when you say "plane") is oriented, just change its Orientation parameter to the desired value. As for up-vector control, you can use the Aim at Reference Points option and supply a second, offsetted curve into the Sweep SOP's third input.

Thank you for your answers. Adam, your method works but it's not as "clean" as I'd expect. I'm surprised it's not that easy to do in Houdini ...

Edward, I didn't understand what to do, sorry.

Anyway, it's fine, I gave up. I will do it in blender and import it in Houdini.

I am sure there is a clean way to do it, I am just kinda trying to get at the nuts and bolts of the system. I'm a math major, so i tend to use the point sop quite a bit more than i probably should. I am still working on it, but when i get it working, I will probably release a tire digital asset on my site, maybe even a tutorial depending on how much math I end up using. Unfortunately for this project, I got my ps3 back from Sony today, so i am going to be using that instead of Houdini. :-D

OK, there were some installs for a game (BAH!), so I took a few minutes to see if I could figure out a good way to build a tire procedurally that would be able to be scaled out into a bigger picture kinda deal, but I am running into some snags with getting the tread onto the tire itself and building the tread up. I like how the method I am trying to figure out is coming together, but I can't quite put my finger on how to get my curves that make up my tread shape to surfaces. I put in some sticky notes to describe what I am having problems with.

tread1.hipnc