How do I access Local Variable?

Hi there,

I'm learning the ins and outs of working with attributes, passing them between nodes, etc. Maybe someone could help me out with this ...

I need to scale parts of an L-System's branch width ($WIDTH, when working downstream from the L-System node).

The Houdini help file says that "W" is a point attribute - however when I middle click on the node, or open the detail view window with the node selected, the only point attributes I can see are x y z, u v, etc.

I am trying to use a sphere primitive to influence the scale of the L-System via an AttributeTransfer SOP, so that when the sphere is intersected with the L-System (kind of like using the metaball as an input for clipping), the "$WIDTH" attribute is taken from the sphere and placed onto the points of the resulting polyWire SOP or just L-System out. I can't find the right names to use. I don't even know how to view the attributes I am interested in, in some kind of spreadsheet or viewport display or something. :(lsystem.hiplsystem.hip

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Matt

PS - I've attached the file, though it's not much.

check this out

wtf? thank you!

I don't understand why it didn't work for me, I tried doing the exact same thing, except I specified the "source" and "target" groups within the AttributeTransfer SOP. If I do that in your scene, it breaks ... any idea why? Is it because the resample doesn't get included in the group name?

Also, do you know a good way to audit / view these internal attributes? Like I said, no luck in the "geometry spread sheet" or "details view".

Thanks again for all the help you've provided on the board here.

Best,

Matt

You're welcome Matt.

Your setup had one big problem. you were telling polywire to use $WIDTH while your attribute is called $W ;)

you can view all of your attributes in detail view. but I personally would like to make a color attribute based on my new attribute to make is visible in the viewport. I did the same thing in the file that I uploaded too. I probably should have named it visualization.

You're welcome Matt.

Your setup had one big problem. you were telling polywire to use $WIDTH while your attribute is called $W ;)

you can view all of your attributes in detail view. but I personally would like to make a color attribute based on my new attribute to make is visible in the viewport. I did the same thing in the file that I uploaded too. I probably should have named it visualization.

Hi Ehsan,

I am looking in the viewport, and I turned on all the custom display options for 'normal geometry' - even made one and linked it to 'w' - still don't see anything though.

i tried it earlier in a different scene, and it worked. not working now, though. is there a specific way to view these attrs?

thanks,

matt

Hi Ehsan,

I am looking in the viewport, and I turned on all the custom display options for 'normal geometry' - even made one and linked it to 'w' - still don't see anything though.

i tried it earlier in a different scene, and it worked. not working now, though. is there a specific way to view these attrs?

thanks,

matt

also, this is weird, but i am able to get the attributeTransfer SOP to work when specifying the input group names explicity (in the parameter interface), but only if I disable the "resample" SOP before it. If I don't the mesh looks very disconnected and broken apart. I wonder if this is because the points are being reordered or something?

Hi Ehsan,

thanks,

matt

like this?

lsystem_3.hipnc

also, this is weird, but i am able to get the attributeTransfer SOP to work when specifying the input group names explicity (in the parameter interface), but only if I disable the "resample" SOP before it. If I don't the mesh looks very disconnected and broken apart. I wonder if this is because the points are being reordered or something?

You can decrease the Length in resample, or just simply ignore it, I added that to test something actually, You can delete that resample node.

• 9 months later...

another way to give some random attribute on laeves:

Premise:FA

Rule1:A=//////B

Rule2:&FAJ(1,,rand(x)*0.02)

rand(x) uses an x component of a current turtle position in space. And it is acceptable in some cases.

But i failed to try use fit(rand(x),0,1,0,0.1) instead of rand(x)

Edited by thx1138