RBD Fractured Object Inherit Velocity from Point Velocity

zdimaria

I have an RBD Fractured Object, which has changing point velocities. I am trying to use Inherit Velocity from Point Velocity. On the first frame, everything works as expected, but at frame 2, it doesnt. I feel like its because the initial state velocity is just that, explicitly a first timestep velocity. I am new to DOPs and am having a hard time figuring out how to achieve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zak

velocity.hipnc

yea, Im pretty sure the inherit point vel option is only for initial state. You could use an rbd state node with a point expression in the vel sections. set it to "set always" so it evaluates at each time step, and grab the vel attribute value from SOPs.

Thank you, the RBD State node worked perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

instead of the $OBJ-1, just pick a point number, ie: 1. The point expression will get the velocity data from that one point. Also, dont put "vx" just put "v". The number at the end of the expression says if its x, y, or z using 0, 1, or 2. point("../geo1", 1, "v", 0)

Havent tried this, but I think you can could use an attribute promote SOP to promote the v attribute from point to detail level as an average. Then use the detail expression to call that into DOPs which will be the average vel of all the points, instead of just a single point.

Edited by Loudsubs