Weathering Effect

Prabu

Hello Everybody,

I am trying to develop a Tool (Digital Asset) for weathering effect.

Any input on existing tools and methods for getting weathering effect are welcome...

Any links, Tutorials,Tips, Discussions etc... So I will be aware of what has been done already and what is to be done...

Here with this post I am attaching a few images. They are screen-shots of a paper on "Weathering simulation".

I hope these images will give a clear idea of what my tool is about.

post-6776-13203524278_thumb.png post-6776-132035239461_thumb.png

post-6776-132035253108_thumb.png post-6776-132035262357_thumb.png

post-6776-132035326608_thumb.png

-prabu

Edited by Prabu

very nice images you got there, i bet they'll be hard to copy.

seems to me that you are looking at two different types of aging,

erosion on a geometric level (sfinx) and shading based on ambient occlusion/highlights.

the latter can be done in a Vopsop as per this example:

http://ihoudini.blogspot.com/2009/08/wear-shader-2.html

you could use the hightlights to drive the geometric erosion or paint corrosion,

or use the occlusion variant (flip the input numbers) and use it to place the grass and dirt in the crevices.

good luck :)

Edited by freaq

This is probably a school assignment and you should probably do your own research. Otherwise you are missing an important step of the whole process.

A google scholar search on keywords already mentioned should give enough material for a while.

This is probably a school assignment and you should probably do your own research. Otherwise you are missing an important step of the whole process.

A google scholar search on keywords already mentioned should give enough material for a while.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, I am doing this for my Thesis. I have already developed a tool for erosion/corrosion Effect. Still i would like to know all the available options for doing the same and different types of Aging/Weathering Effects.

And once again thanks for your suggestions. Any inputs regarding this topic are welcome.

very nice images you got there, i bet they'll be hard to copy.

seems to me that you are looking at two different types of aging,

erosion on a geometric level (sfinx) and shading based on ambient occlusion/highlights.

the latter can be done in a Vopsop as per this example:

http://ihoudini.blogspot.com/2009/08/wear-shader-2.html

you could use the hightlights to drive the geometric erosion or paint corrosion,

or use the occlusion variant (flip the input numbers) and use it to place the grass and dirt in the crevices.

good luck :)

Thanks for the inputs...

All the images shared on this post are the result of one single technique mentioned in that paper.

I am trying to implement that in houdini.

I like to know is there any tool or single method exist in houdini for doing the same.