Cookie result display problem

magneto

Hi,

I am doing a tutorial where I have to subtract an extruded line with thickness from a grid (also has thickness from PolyExtrude SOP).

The author suggest the normals are wrong, which I can't really tell without turning on normals, so I add a Reverse SOP, and then subtract B (grid) from A (line).

But when I display the result, I get what seems to look like a wireframe model with points visible. So I just see points in my viewport with normals I think. I forgot to take a screenshot but the resulting geometry is not visible in the shaded style. It always looks like how I described it.

Cookie is a bit tricky, sometimes doesn't give the best result, depends on your geo. Since I don't know how your geo looks like, I can just suggest try turning off pre-convex geometry and play with 3D tolerance, maybe that helps!

Here is a pic of it, as you can see it's not very high res:

d599X.png

But it makes sense cookie is the problem because without it, everything is good.

Also pre convex didn't work.

Learn to love the Facet SOP. All hail the Facet. Seriously, it's really cool. Your going through the roadbuilding tutorials over at cmi? very cool stuff!

Yeah the Facet SOP reigned down upon the problem :)

Actually I was doing the CmiVFX Houdini introduction where in the last chapter he was showing how to build a bridge, where it digs tunnels inside the mountain.

Is the Cookie SOP problematic frequently though? I know polygonal boolean operations are complex, but I thought Houdini's would be much better.

For the things I've used it on, I haven't had many issues, other than I usually had to use the User specified options. My limited experience with it makes it feel more stable than bool operations in modo 401.

Thanks, by user specified options do you mean, changing the default values?

Max's booleans are garbage but it also has ProBooleans (by nPower):

http://www.npowersoftware.com/booleans/pboverview.htm

It produces pretty good results.