random bounce / collision direction

misterbil

hi

I'll divide this topic later if needed but I have two questions.

1) how do you randomize collision directions? is there an attribute to tweak? or do I actually need to create a secondary mesh with some noise?

2) can you make instanced geometry RBD oject? and how do you set that up?

I'm trying to have a volley of arrows get shot at the ground and some of them bounce and some of them stick.

I can figure out the grouping and dividing the different behaviors, but I can't figure out how to get the arrow to behave like RBD after they bounce once.

thanks for you help.

arrows_stick_01.hipnc

1. I think using a different obj with some noise is the best way, but you can also add a force node after you collision node, and use your hit group for source group, and go to noise tab, and increase the freq. and amplitude. for example freq. 30,30,30 and amplitude 300,300,300

2. in your scene, your dopnetwork is doing nothing, are you planning to use if for something else later? and what do you exactly mean by "instanced geometry RBD oject"?

Edited by ehsan parizi

1. I think using a different obj with some noise is the best way, but you can also add a force node after you collision node, and use your hit group for source group, and go to noise tab, and increase the freq. and amplitude. for example freq. 30,30,30 and amplitude 300,300,300

2. in your scene, your dopnetwork is doing nothing, are you planning to use if for something else later? and what do you exactly mean by "instanced geometry RBD oject"?

1. Again THANKS Ehsan, the force trick was exactly what I was looking for, works great.

2. you are right, my dopnet is there for later :). I mean by "instanced geometry RBD oject", that I want to convert my instanced object to "real" RDB object. So they will react to collision the same way as RBD.

Right now it looks like they are only using the particles for collision. Not reacting like, let say, a real arrow. see attached image.

make any sense?

So, I was wondering if you needed to convert the instanced objects or create the number of RBD that you need and animate them with some forces, without using any particles at all.

Thanks

post-7368-132189486853_thumb.gif

Edited by misterbil