Houdini voronoi fracture geos to maya.Please help.

wjc1110

Hi guys,

This is William here, currently working on a project. Where I have to fracture stuff and blow it up. I have never work with Houdini before but manage to use basic scatter node and voronoi fracture node to fracture the simple box ( for the test).

This Box, I model in Maya export out as FBX and bring in to Houdini, fractured it, save as obj and bring it back to MAYA.

Everything works.

But here is a question why when I bring it back into Maya I apply a field on it to blow it up, when the geos are fracturing, I can see inside the geo is empty... Here are some pictures... Please help here.

i'm guessing the things are freaking me out is when i'm done fracturing in Houdini I've applied a exploview node on it. everything was solid, but when I'm back into maya, things are like that, please see the pictures that I screen captured.

Thanks for all your time reading it through, hopefully we can all learn from each other.

William

post-7445-132182929382_thumb.png

post-7445-132182932973.png

post-7445-13218293489_thumb.png

post-7445-132182936815_thumb.png

voronoi fracture node creates inside and outside groups, make sure you're exporting both!

Hi, Ehsan Parizi

Thanks for your reply. This tow picture here are how I'm fracturing the geo and how I'm saving it out as obj and bringing to MAYA. did I miss something at all?

Or I possibly missed some option in Voronoi fracture node, _____ like "create inside surface", and "connect inside edges", etc.

Best

William

post-7445-1321832433_thumb.png

post-7445-132183244102_thumb.png

you don't need to tell the fracture node to create inside, it creates inside by default.

The only thing is, maybe if you use a ROP Output Driver after your voronoi fracture and save your geometry with that, it helps. although I'm not sure about it. but that's a better way to export your geometry anyway.

you don't need to tell the fracture node to create inside, it creates inside by default.

The only thing is, maybe if you use a ROP Output Driver after your voronoi fracture and save your geometry with that, it helps. although I'm not sure about it. but that's a better way to export your geometry anyway.

HI, Ehsan Parizi

Thanks a lot for your reply, since I'm fairly new to Houdini (few days). Could you possibly give me a hand on how you would do in this situation? Not quite sure what ROP output driver you were mentioning. If you don't have time I guess picture will be also a lot of help, I will try read from pictures.

Thanks!!

Best

William

to be honest I've never exported a scene from Houdini that I wanna do effects on it in Maya, but looks like it's working now, BUT you have to separate the box in Maya, and under polybox, merge the inside and outside together, so I think I'm doing something wrong! but at least you have your inside, and if it's not a million pieces, you can combine the inside and outside (that come one after another in the list of polygons under the polybox) but still, this is probably not the best way to do it.

P.S : for some reason I can't attach the obj file, but basically in the hip file, select the rop output driver node(the last one), specify your output file address and render.

box.hipnc

to be honest I've never exported a scene from Houdini that I wanna do effects on it in Maya, but looks like it's working now, BUT you have to separate the box in Maya, and under polybox, merge the inside and outside together, so I think I'm doing something wrong! but at least you have your inside, and if it's not a million pieces, you can combine the inside and outside (that come one after another in the list of polygons under the polybox) but still, this is probably not the best way to do it.

P.S : for some reason I can't attach the obj file, but basically in the hip file, select the rop output driver node(the last one), specify your output file address and render.

Hi Ehsan Parizi,

Thanks again for the professional opinion and fast reply.

SO the correct way to export the geo is basically writing a ROP network node.

But here is my question, if you look at my geo in Maya everything inside is empty, is because I have to check the connect inside face or edge in the Voronoi fracture node? ( when I was in Houdini apply a exloview node on it to check my geo it was all solid. You know what I'm saying?

Current goal is trying to get a prefectured geo from houdini and work in maya but trying to get a solid geo. not just faces and inside all empty you know?

Thanks for your fast reply and time. Much appreciated.

Best

William

( when I was in Houdini apply a exloview node on it to check my geo it was all solid. You know what I'm saying?

Current goal is trying to get a prefectured geo from houdini and work in maya but trying to get a solid geo. not just faces and inside all empty you know?

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by that, but right now you have both inside and outside in maya! right? the only problem is that the whole geometry comes as one object and you have to separate it first, and then combine inside and outside together! I will let you know if I find a better way to export geometry that doesn't need extra work in Maya, but for now that's all I know.

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by that, but right now you have both inside and outside in maya! right? the only problem is that the whole geometry comes as one object and you have to separate it first, and then combine inside and outside together! I will let you know if I find a better way to export geometry that doesn't need extra work in Maya, but for now that's all I know.

I see where you going with this, you think I have the outside exported but not the inside. ( since I wasn't doing Rop network node). I see, i'm going to do some test tonight, and let you know if Rop works for me or not. :)

Now I got what you mean, you thinks its empty its because I don't have it save correctly. I will try it and let you know, hopefully we both learn from each other.

Thanks man

Best

William