Searching houdini help in google always seem to use H10

magneto

Is this as designed? I find myself, searching for something online in google about Houdini, where I don't have Houdini installed. The help shows up fine but it's H10's, not H11.

If it's not as designed, SESI might want to make the H11 default IMO.

Also in the help file regarding HOM, I see a lot of functions shown as "This feature is not yet implemented". Are these being added build by build, or just between major versions.

Just wondering if this is similar to Max's scripting exposure where non-exposed items are very rarely exposed in future versions.

Is this as designed? I find myself, searching for something online in google about Houdini, where I don't have Houdini installed. The help shows up fine but it's H10's, not H11.

If it's not as designed, SESI might want to make the H11 default IMO.

Yes and no.

Since H10 was out longer so there are more inbound links to that version of the manual. Therefore, Google keeps promoting it as the best match. I often get H9 links from Google which is really frustrating.

SESI could redirect links from H10 to H11, but that doesn't work for people still using H10.

What SESI should do is host the latest version of the manual at http://docs/houdini_head/

That way, anyone linking from their blog or website to that version of the manual will always be pointing to the latest version. When SESI releases a new version, they move the old version to a path with the version number in it.

What you can do, is search the H11 manual directly using Google features.

For example; to find "particles" everywhere in the houdini 11 manual this is the search term you would use.

allinurl:houdini11 site:sidefx.com particles

Also in the help file regarding HOM, I see a lot of functions shown as "This feature is not yet implemented". Are these being added build by build, or just between major versions.

Just wondering if this is similar to Max's scripting exposure where non-exposed items are very rarely exposed in future versions.

Those are the secret features. I could tell you how they work, but then I'd have to kill you.

Yes and no.

Since H10 was out longer so there are more inbound links to that version of the manual. Therefore, Google keeps promoting it as the best match. I often get H9 links from Google which is really frustrating.

SESI could redirect links from H10 to H11, but that doesn't work for people still using H10.

What SESI should do is host the latest version of the manual at http://docs/houdini_head/

That way, anyone linking from their blog or website to that version of the manual will always be pointing to the latest version. When SESI releases a new version, they move the old version to a path with the version number in it.

What you can do, is search the H11 manual directly using Google features.

For example; to find "particles" everywhere in the houdini 11 manual this is the search term you would use.

allinurl:houdini11 site:sidefx.com particles

Those are the secret features. I could tell you how they work, but then I'd have to kill you.

Hey hopbin9, I didn't take google's sorting of result. That makes sense.

Another thing would be that maybe it would act like msdn, where AFAIK whenever you click an msdn link from google, or elsewhere, it seem to remember which .NET version you set explicitly. So mine is set to .NET 4, and anytime I visit an msdn link, the .NET 4 version of the page shows up. Although some pages don't do this, because I think they added this support a little later.

So this sort of remembering the version you like to see, would be very good IMO.

You got my hopes up, when you told me that you could show me how they worked :)

Just search for Houdini 11 Documentation:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/

I usually use this instead of the in built docs anyway.

Yes that would work too. I sometimes just search it in google.

Btw is it me or sometimes I remember seeing an intellisense like menu when I am typing into Houdini search box? That's very useful but can't remember if I get it using certain browsers. I use chrome.

Btw is it me or sometimes I remember seeing an intellisense like menu when I am typing into Houdini search box? That's very useful but can't remember if I get it using certain browsers. I use chrome.

Yes, that's in the H11 local help. I don't think the online version does that (uses Google instead).