Simple attribute transfer help

abvfx

Hey there,

My attribute knowledge has failed me. Im sure you guys can help.

Basically im trying to find a way to transfer the point position of one object to another using a painted attribute as a mask. I can do the first part pretty easily but based of a painted attribute is what gets me.

It seems like it should be super simple, but i am simple minded :)

Edited by phrenzy84

Hi,

I hope I'm understanding your question, is the painted attribute going to act as a weight in the point position transformation?

If yes I would create a VOP SOP to calculate the distance between the original point's position and the destination, normalize the attribute, multiply it by the distance and add it to the point.

If not, I would just group by attribute and then transfer the new position to the group created.

Is that of any help?

Cheers

Yeah that got me going in the right direction.

I was indeed talking about a painted attribute acting as a weight. I should have mentioned that both object are essentially identical.

I used a subtract (instead of the distance vop) to shape i wanted to get by the original and then multiplied that by the painted attribute from the original and added the result with the original P.

Cheers mate.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a subtract (instead of the distance vop) to shape i wanted to get by the original and then multiplied that by the painted attribute from the original and added the result with the original P.

Yeah, I was thinking the subtract, cause the distance VOP only gives you a scalar. with the subtract you get the vector that moves the point from A to B... maybe I should have used another term for "distance" :D

You got it right anyway, that's what matters! :)