doing emFlock effect

fxjungle

I'd be tempted to use a popsolver and sopsolver setup. The reason being that you could then build pointcloud based forces and that might be more predictable and versatile than just a popnet.

A few days ago there was a post that included a setup for generating force fields with charges. I think that perhaps something interesting could be done with this.

You could also build a rule-based system. Give each particle a field of view and a viewing distance and other such things and let them run about.

I think it is definitely possible but you have to know what behavior you want.

Edited by Macha

I'd be tempted to use a popsolver and sopsolver ... The reason being that you could then build pointcloud based forces and that might be more predictable and versatile than just a popnet.

I think someone said; a popnet is just a sopsolver. So what benefits would you get from popsolver in DOPs?

*edit*

I mean can't you just build a pc force system in vops?

Edited by 3dbeing

If you want to use pc in a popnet you get into trouble easily. For example, I think you cant use the particles themselves as a pc. So, you have to go outsi the pop and then back into on the next timestep. You can only do that in a dops. A number of things like that simply become easier in dops because you can use all the sop context tools. In fact, you could just build it all in a sopsolver and forget particles.

Finding nearest points or calculating densities, gradients, laplaciens, any kind of averages or fields becomes easier in sops, or if you can use volumes.

Edited by Macha

There's a nice tutorial over at cmivfx about flocking systems in Houdini. It is also using boids behaviours which are basically not that hard to implement when you know your way around the Sop Solver and VEX/VOPS. Still I think it's a good tutorial which helps you build a modular flocking system. Beware however: The implementation is done in VEX code.

http://cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/330/Houdini+Flocking+Systems

-dennis

Edited by dennis.weil
  • Like 1

If you want to use pc in a popnet you get into trouble easily. For example, I think you cant use the particles themselves as a pc. So, you have to go outsi the pop and then back into on the next timestep. You can only do that in a dops. A number of things like that simply become easier in dops because you can use all the sop context tools. In fact, you could just build it all in a sopsolver and forget particles.

Finding nearest points or calculating densities, gradients, laplaciens, any kind of averages or fields becomes easier in sops, or if you can use volumes.

Interesting.

So far i have been under impression that "POP Solver" inside "Dops" is kind of secondary trick to accomplish particle caching for interactive playbacks.

I'd be tempted to use a popsolver and sopsolver setup. The reason being that you could then build pointcloud based forces and that might be more predictable and versatile than just a popnet.

A few days ago there was a post that included a setup for generating force fields with charges. I think that perhaps something interesting could be done with this.

You could also build a rule-based system. Give each particle a field of view and a viewing distance and other such things and let them run about.

I think it is definitely possible but you have to know what behavior you want.

Thanks guys for all the responses.

I just have a question about this, when you say use a popsolver and sopsolver, you mean inside of DOPS?

Guys I have to say that I can't thank you enough for your help, it truly is awesome to know that this community is made of people who are willing and are also kind about sharing their knowledge.

This will have to take a back seat to the project I am working on, but many thanks!