How to know which OPs I can use standard variables?

magneto

I thought these were accessible for any SOP:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/nodes/sop/standardvariables

But when I try to use them say to set the Offset of a Mountain SOP, it doesn't recognize the variables and errors out.

I tried to use $SIZEX, etc.

They work for Transform SOP, etc. Is there a way to know where I can use them?

I couldn't find any info in the SOP main page.

I thought these were accessible for any SOP:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/nodes/sop/standardvariables

But when I try to use them say to set the Offset of a Mountain SOP, it doesn't recognize the variables and errors out.

Its a list of variables which are available under sops. It does not necessarily mean that they are supported by all ops.

I always check the op help card to see what variables are available, under its "Local Variables" heading.

In the time of confusion, I would say Parameter box of a node is ultimate arbiter.

As far as accessing any standard variable in any op go. One could create a custom variable using "Attrib Create" (Check its local variable listing, and it should be no surprise. As almost all the standard variables are supported here). Call it with point,prim ,detail .etc. in your node.

I agree that it could be confusing in the beginning and needs trial and error.

Cheers,

Edited by vectorblur
  • Like 1

Its a list of variables which are available under sops. It does not necessarily mean that they are supported by all ops.

I always check the op help card to see what variables are available, under its "Local Variables" heading.

In the time of confusion, I would say Parameter box of a node is ultimate arbiter.

As far as accessing any standard variable in any op go. One could create a custom variable using "Attrib Create" (Check its local variable listing, and it should be no surprise. As almost all the standard variables are supported here). Call it with point,prim ,detail .etc. in your node.

I agree that it could be confusing in the beginning and needs trial and error.

Cheers,

Yeah, unfortunately the documentation doesn't always say what variables are available, so it's trial and error. When it errors out you can be sure there is an expression that solves your problem. In that case would be the bbox("..soppath_here", D_XSIZE).

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I didn't know that. Seeing at least most of the available variables per OP is good.

@Rafael, I didn't realize I could do the same with that expression. Having many overlaps like this in addition to trial and error makes it unintuitive I think.