check for corrupt geometry

Hey guys,

I created a tool which allows me to break hundreds of objects at the same time in a particular fashion.

And that works quite well except for 1 or 2 pieces where the Boolean method of the Break SOP always fails. (depending on the seed the seed it's always different pieces that fail to get cut correctly.)

So what I'd like to do is to check the geometry for any issues, like open edges or something and then just change the seed if the boolean operation fails in order to try it again.

In 3DS Max for example there is a modifier called STL Check

STL Check example

which one could use to detect if cutting operations went well or not.

Is there a similar thing in Houdini or any node that could help me? Any ideas?

thanks,

Manu

thanks for the quick response guys!

Macha:

clean SOP works, I can remove degenerate prims and compare polycounts to see if an object is corrupt.

Jason:

-Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for - what a great useful op, the fact that you can mark geometry with issues is amazing!

cheers,

Manu

• 3 weeks later...

so after 2 weeks of breaking stuff I came up with a pretty fireproof method of procedurally cutting up

tons of geometry with a custom tool and one method to check for open edges made things a lot easier:

The "unshared edges" in the group SOP. This way I could easily detect corrupt pieces and reiterate them,

just by checking if the group contains any points ( argc(pointlist("../corruptGroup", "corruptGroup") ) )

Maybe this helps someone who gets frustrated trying to procedurally apply boolean operations to objects :)

cheers!

• Like 1