[HOT] Ocean creation advise

Hi guys ! its my first post here on odForce, so hello everybody ! i'm a maya artist, so quite a big noob on houdini. For my first houdini project i'm trying to make a nice CG ocean with HOT.

I have 2 main issue.

- Pattern repetition problem : in fact i want an helicopter shot with a very large ocean scale.

i'm fighting hard to get convincing result. for the moment i use vopsop version of the HOT, and i combine 3 ocean node with different ocean size (50,200,400) i offset each node with an xform on the st coordinate. i get quite good result but i always get straight line. so if you guys have any tips to :

- avoid repetition of pattern

- avoid straight line

- add realism with randomness in the pattern

it would be great to learn them !

- tessendorf displace at rendertime : i have an other pb ! i don't know how to setup one more displacement layer at rendertime. Thus i need to use extremely high grid, and everything is slow as hell. for the moment i use a 1400*1400 grid + a subdivide node. what would be cool is to use something like 600*600 grid plus a displacement at rendertime.

anyways if you guys have any tips , for making great large scale ocean with HOT it would be nice to share your secrets !

thanks for you help !

sk

First of all try changing the wind direction on each of your layered oceanVOPs and play a lot with the settings. Also, the lower the camera, the less you have to worry about tiling.

On the rendertime stuff. You could create a rest position in SOPs and use a restSHOP (or just pull in the attribute) to use for your position in the noise (don't forget to use a transform Current:world).

I've been doing stuff with OceanSOPVOPs and mixing with OceanSHOPs and other noise patterns to get highly detailed results.

Thanks for your help Christian !

well in fact i change wind direction and tweak parameters to get decent result.

for the moment i only use VOPSOP to modelise my grid. And i think that what i really miss is the SHOP part.

i make lot of trial to get the HOT displacement work with no sucess yet ! :)

i have no idea on how to make a nice displacement in Houdini.

i try to connect an ocean_displace from the SHOP context and i get lot a black area Bug.

i think i make something wrong, and houdini may need to know the good space for evaluating the normals of my grid, but as i'm a complete noob i don't know how to do this. How do you use the ocean_displacement correctly ?

Moreover you talk about the rest node, i check the help and it looks that it's use ta make a texture stick to a deform object, i don't see how you can use it to optimize rendertime ?

thanks again for your help !