Linux and Itanium2

pirani1

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a new HP workstation zx6000 dual itanium 900Mhz, I ask you if I need to install a specific linux distro or I can put my beloved Slack (9.0) without problem ? HP want to send me a preconfigured machine with "RedHat Advanced Workstation". But I want to know if there's a possiblity to stay away from the "red cap" :P . Currently I've a mini cluster of 3 machines Athlon XP 2000 with Slack 9.0 and installed Houdini ,PRman 5.5 and Shake 3.0 and everything work fine.

Cheers

Enrico

Assuming you have a basilar network knowledge and a network of two or more PC, all you have to do is install the PVM libs on the server node .

You'll find the libs and detailed book on-line from MIT press in which you'll find out how to configure your nodes.

http://www.netlib.org/pvm3/index.html

P.S. One advice is to buid an homogenous system. I mean a system with 10 P III 12 AMD 1800 can perform worst than a system with 4 identical XP-2000. So forget to refurbish some old PC thinking to get

a supercomputing machine at bargaine.

:D

Cheers