Apprentice HD moving to Annual License with H12

robert.magee

One of the key goals of the Apprentice Program has always been to provide a way for the community to keep their Houdini skills up-to-date. In order to ensure that everyone using Apprentice HD has access to the latest release, the HD program will be moving to an annual license. This new Apprentice HD license will cost $99, include all major and minor upgrades and can be renewed annually.

Anyone who purchased Apprentice HD up to 90 days before the release date will be sent a Houdini 12 license which will expire on the anniversary of its original purchase. All other Apprentice HD customers will need to pay the $99 annual fee to join the program. If you choose not to renew then you can continue to work with a free Apprentice license and can rejoin the HD program at any time.

Houdini 12 is going to be an exciting release with a wealth of features and performance enhancements which make it significantly faster and more memory efficient. With a new geometry engine, targeted optimizations to dynamics and rendering, and viewport enhancements, you will be able to accomplish more and iterate faster. This new version also includes Bullet solver integration, Pyro FX 2, production-ready cloth, Alembic exporter and much more.

As soon as Houdini 12 goes gold, details about joining the new Apprentice HD program will be posted. This is a ground-breaking release and everyone is going to want to be on board.

Robert

I'm not 100% sure that I understand.

Does the Apprentice HD license expire after a year so that you must return to using regular Apprentice if you don't pay an annual licensing fee of $99?

Exactly. The difference is that with the old license it was perpetual but didn't give you access to the latest version. This annual license will include automatic upgrades.

If you have a H11 HD license it will continue to be perpetual and you can keep it moving forward. Instead of upgrading to H12 HD from there you will simply join the new program for $99.

Robert

Hi, Robert,

If I purchase now, can I access H12 or I have to wait until the formal release is out?

You will be within the 90 days for sure and get H12 HD when it goes gold - your annual HD license will then need to be renewed on the anniversary of original purchase (rather than the gold release date).

I'm not 100% sure that I understand.

Does the Apprentice HD license expire after a year so that you must return to using regular Apprentice if you don't pay an annual licensing fee of $99?

didn't know this... @_@

so it's the same as you buy a house.....