Flip, Heat and Gas calculate

Annon

Is it possible to do a heat transfer on a FLIP fluid in DOPs without SOPs?

Basically I want a small sphere moving through a big sphere, it'll heat it up (just colour at the minute) and then it'll cool down.

I've managed to do this with a SOP solver and attribute transfer etc, but they generally slow things down a bit and I'd like to expand my knowledge of DOPs a bit more.

I'm thinking it's possible to maybe create a scalar field from the affectorSOP and using something like gasCalculate blend between the two and have it fade off over time etc...

I've never done anything with the gas microsolvers though and am finding it a bit hard to work out where to go with it.

Any advice on how to approach this out of the SOP solver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Christian

P.s. I've just attached a base scene to give you a better idea of what I'm getting at. It doesn't do anything, but is all setup to work on.

heatFLIP_base.hip

Hey mawi, thank you so much for the scene, it's been very helpful today for having a mess around with the gas microsolvers. I hope you don't mind me batting it back with another question...

So your setup was working how I wanted and I just had to add a blur to the heat attribute, which I did in SOPSolver. Unfortunately I just had to look up too many points for my liking to get a nice blur. I'm sure it's probably better to do this kinda thing with a scalar field, so I had a go but just couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly.

My idea was to have the affector field update another field so I can use gasBlur or gasCalculate to get fading and blurring on the field then move it over to the particles using the gasFieldToParticle node like you showed me. This seems like it'd be much faster than looking up 5k particles per particle to get a nice blur (heat spread).

I've included a modified scene with the gist of what I was trying to do (spent hours trying so many different ways, but this seemed like it might be 'nearly' there where as others just failed). It's got a comment in the DOPs with what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the help so far, it's very much appreciated!

Christian

heatFLIP_feildBlend.hipnc

Edited by ChristianW
  • Like 1

Hey mawi, thank you so much for the scene, it's been very helpful today for having a mess around with the gas microsolvers. I hope you don't mind me batting it back with another question...

So your setup was working how I wanted and I just had to add a blur to the heat attribute, which I did in SOPSolver. Unfortunately I just had to look up too many points for my liking to get a nice blur. I'm sure it's probably better to do this kinda thing with a scalar field, so I had a go but just couldn't figure out how to get it to work properly.

My idea was to have the affector field update another field so I can use gasBlur or gasCalculate to get fading and blurring on the field then move it over to the particles using the gasFieldToParticle node like you showed me. This seems like it'd be much faster than looking up 5k particles per particle to get a nice blur (heat spread).

I've included a modified scene with the gist of what I was trying to do (spent hours trying so many different ways, but this seemed like it might be 'nearly' there where as others just failed). It's got a comment in the DOPs with what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the help so far, it's very much appreciated!

Christian

You could blur the heat field in SOPs with one of the volume SOPs before bringing it into DOPs.

Edited by mawi