opdef question

For an HDA, when I pick an icon from disk, it converts the path to something like:

opdef:Sop/explode?IconImage

Does it save it inside the OTL? Because I don't see it under the Extra Files tab. Is it a better practice to just add the file to Extra Files and refer to the icon there?

Also if 2 HDAs are using the same icon inside the same OTL, can you make a shared asset/icon for both?

Lastly when writing your own help wiki,:

#icon: opdef:Sop/explode?IconImage

doesn't work.

It says you can do:

opdef:Object/contrail?icon.png

but I don't have that kind of path for my icon.

Any ideas?

For an HDA, when I pick an icon from disk, it converts the path to something like:

You need a starting forward slash.

opdef:/Sop/explode?iconimage.png

The file name must match the name used in the extra files.

Does it save it inside the OTL? Because I don't see it under the Extra Files tab. Is it a better practice to just add the file to Extra Files and refer to the icon there?

You most likely forgot to click the add file button. You first select the file using the file browser, but then you have to add it to the extra files. Once it's in there, it will be saved in the OTL. I think the extra files keeps a file path for easy updating, but once it's in the OTL it will work on any computer.

Also if 2 HDAs are using the same icon inside the same OTL, can you make a shared asset/icon for both?

Yes. The path is the same for both.

Lastly when writing your own help wiki,:

#icon: opdef:Sop/explode?IconImage

The path is wrong. opdef:/Sop/explode?IconImage or what ever it's called in the extra files.

Note, the /obj/ network is opdef:/Object/etc..

• Like 1

Thanks hopbin, are you sure it's the same syntax. I think you are referring to extra files paths. Open an HDA editing dialog, and change the icon by picking an image, after you save the HDA and restart Houdini, if you bring the same dialog, you will have something like:

not:

opdef:Object/contrail?icon.png

I tried the "/" with:

and it didn't work. I mean my icon shows up. But I think Houdini uses different paths depending on whether the image is from extra files, or once from disk but now private to the asset.

Also I thought the extra files was for each asset, didn't realize it was for the whole OTL. I will see if the file size of my OTL changes when I use a shared image from the extra files.

I just posted this question when I woke up to drink some water :) I need to get 5 cycles minimum to recharge.

Edited by magneto

No, I know I'm right ;)

See attached images.

What I've found, is that Houdini has to be restarted sometimes to see an icon appear for an asset that has been just added to the extra files.

post-5539-133251853576_thumb.jpg

post-5539-133251853989_thumb.jpg

Edited by hopbin9
  • Like 1

lol that style link only works for files in extra files. I mean choosing an image from disk using this button:

FGXSm.png

Then the path will be different. Try it :)

Also I added an image to extra files but it only showed up on that HDA, not others in the same OTL. So I am not sure if adding the icon to extra files is better. Both seem to store it inside the OTL per HDA anyway :)