Python in IDE editors

breadbox

I am learning python and have a basic understanding of python in maya and have been using eclipse as an ide to run code into maya.

is there a way to set up something similar for houdini? so I can edit python in an external editor like eclipse or jEdit then run code externally?

Yes, you can. Do you need create environment variable EDITOR with link to IDE. After start Houdini on parameter go to Expression editor and push Ctrl+E.

I am learning python and have a basic understanding of python in maya and have been using eclipse as an ide to run code into maya.

is there a way to set up something similar for houdini? so I can edit python in an external editor like eclipse or jEdit then run code externally?

Yes, you can. Do you need create environment variable EDITOR with link to IDE. After start Houdini on parameter go to Expression editor and push Ctrl+E.

Is there a way to use the debugger for houdini python assets too ?

Is there a way to use the debugger for houdini python assets too ?

About debugging I dont know. For debug I use print command. He write result in Python Shell on Houdini.

In IDE you can use autocomplite. For this need in IDE add library from this directory $HFS/houdini/python2.6libs or $HFS/houdini/python2.5libs

• 1 month later...

I use Komodo as an IDE

You can set up the environmental variables, and the python lib to enable code intelligence and execution of scripts outside of Houdini.

With the Komodo Pro you can have full debugging features

within the IDE.

for debugging you may find logging to file usefull, and setup a terminal to tail the log file

if you use print to the Houdini terminal for debugging, you will eventually want to go back and remove all the print commands, while using logging will keep things 'clean' as well as allowing for different levels of output( INFO,WARNINGS,ERRORS, etc)

Edited by rom

Guest mantragora

If you are on Windows, there is a extension for Visual Studio 2010 that adds support for standard Python - link. Intellisense, Code Refactoring, Interactive REPL, Debugging (i didn't tested it yet with Houdini). It's completely FREE and with source code, so you can play with it on your own.