RBD Collision Intersection

LouisXIV

Hej,

my first post here ;) ... probably there's a simple solution for my problem but i still dont get it...

I tried to collide 2 prefractured rectangles, with 2 static ones. I used the RBD solver and get some really inaccurate results. I looked at the "Collsion guide geometry" and even extended it outside of the orignal geo.

Still the falling Objects intersects the static ones pretty hard. Increasing the simulation steps had also no effect.

would be nice if someone could take a look at my attached HIP... :)

thx a lot in advantage....

CollisionIntersection.hipnc

Edited by LouisXIV

Ok. I took a look at your scene and fixed it. I´m attaching it here, but just in case here comes the explanation.

First of all I put back substeps to its default. I understand why you raised it up, but it isn´t needed and it makes the simulation crawl.

There are two different and simple ways to fix the file:

1) When you have long box-like objects with little subdivision on them (i.e. big area polygons) select the RBD Object, collisions tab, surface subtab and change "Surface Representation" from "Points" to "Edges". It is slower than points but collisions for situations like this will be quite good (it´s the same situation as the classical "domino" example).

or

2) You can also change the solver to Bullet activate "Split Impulse" and crank up the "Penetration threshold" to 0.06 to avoid the pieces jump on the first frame. The solution is different to RBD, but it is also quite good and sim time is really fast!

Check the switch I added at DOPs on the file. Here hoping it helps. :)

BTW, welcome to odforce. This place rocks.

CollisionIntersection_fix.hipnc

Edited by Netvudu
  • Like 1

your geometry is pretty low poly so in order to get accurate collisions you can change surface representation of your objects from Point to Edges, then you can revert substeps to defaults

you can as well try switching to bullet to see if it produces acceptable results for you since it can be a lot faster

EDIT: too late :)

Edited by anim
  • Like 1