Exporting Maya Geo + animation FBX to Houdini help.

Okay, I want to do a project on Houdini using a creature I rigged and animated in Maya upon which I want to do some effects on the geometry in Houdini.

I was given the impression that the way to import your Maya animation + geo to Houdini is using FBX Filmbox, trouble is, the geo gets imported, but not the animation.

These are the steps I did in Maya 2012 before I exported the FBX:

1.) Export selected object with bake animation ticked on, with start/ end frames.

2.) In Houdini I tick on only Geometry and Animation in Filter Options, then tick on everything in General options.

3.) I see that the geometry gets imported, but there are only two frames and no animation whatsoever, therefore not very useful to use.

What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any help you would give me on this.

Okay, I want to do a project on Houdini using a creature I rigged and animated in Maya upon which I want to do some effects on the geometry in Houdini.

I was given the impression that the way to import your Maya animation + geo to Houdini is using FBX Filmbox, trouble is, the geo gets imported, but not the animation.

These are the steps I did in Maya 2012 before I exported the FBX:

1.) Export selected object with bake animation ticked on, with start/ end frames.

2.) In Houdini I tick on only Geometry and Animation in Filter Options, then tick on everything in General options.

3.) I see that the geometry gets imported, but there are only two frames and no animation whatsoever, therefore not very useful to use.

What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any help you would give me on this.

bendly can you download mayas trail 2013

It has the new Alembic exported from the pipeline cache, just select the geo you want to export into Houdini.

And from Houdini, in a geo sop use the almebic import from the submenu in the import tab

mangi

Edited by mangi
  • Like 1