Changing Fur width from tip to end

Anatol

Hi.

I'm repeating the lesson from the fur advanced tutorial but I have't found how to make fur thikness changing from tip to end.

I tried to connect custom curves into houdini's fur but it's network is to complex for me.

I mean I conected my guides to the "shape_guides" inside the "guides" SOP but it ignores random length of my guides probably because of parameters inside "shape_guides" (vex node) wich is overiding length, direction and deformation of my custom guides.

Then I made another scene and copied "Shop" for rendering guides from houdini's FUR SOP into my custom SOP instead of that wich includes "fur procedural". But there is to many references on a nodes from Houdini's Fur.

Actually I realize that connect guides to an existing fur will be a bit easier than to recreate whole network.

As an option I'm trying to cleanup shop network guideshader and leave just that nodes which is needed to calculate a fur length and width but it is not working for now.

Can you please recommend tutorial for "shaping" guides for using with the fur.

May be exist some easiest way to setup thickness of a guides for rendering with the FUR?

Thank you.

Edited by Anatol

Thanks a lot to my coleague. He explained that a vex node can be used as a guide shader for the fur procedural.

This knowledge is quite enough for now to create not very complex network but I'm still trying to connect custom guides to a ready FUR network.

basic fur_002_guide.hip

Edited by Anatol

Thanks a lot to my coleague. He explained that a vex node can be used as a guide shader for the fur procedural.

This knowledge is quite enough for now to create not very complex network but I'm still trying to connect custom guides to a ready FUR network.

Hi Anatol.

Well, not to sure if this maybe of any help, I looked into your network a bit. and here´s a basic example that kind of looks like your net.

Maybe you can figure out something that I think you are missing

Mangi

GUIDES.hip

post-2848-134155729066_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Mangi. Your scene is a bit helpful.

Looks like it's not so hard to setup tip and root thikness if you've already got hair width along "hairdistance" attribute. I conected "fit range" after the ramp in my scene and now "min" and "max" parameters are responding for tip and root thickness.

Now I'm trying to workout how to connect cut, frizz and clamp maps for using with fur shader.

Thank you, Mangi. Your scene is a bit helpful.

Looks like it's not so hard to setup tip and root thikness if you've already got hair width along "hairdistance" attribute. I conected "fit range" after the ramp in my scene and now "min" and "max" parameters are responding for tip and root thickness.

Now I'm trying to workout how to connect cut, frizz and clamp maps for using with fur shader.

Cool Anatol. seems like a really good experiment, look inside the fur sop from the shelf creator. And you can study the

CVEX Shader Builder and maybe get some know how there , I think the tutorial you are looking at maybe an older version of houdini so things may have changed, And not work as you think it should . if you are using houdini12

lets us know about your progress

mangi