xTools to launch this Aug 1, 2012

hopbin9

NIIIIICE. What about a teaser list of operators for the fans? B)

Sure. Here is a list, but the list isn't final as some assets might get pushed into a side beta download (as they're still work in progress).

Assets will be released in three packages.

xTools Core, the core set of assets used by all other packages. Will contain the following.

xAlign, xArrow, xArrow2D, xBend, xCentriod, xCircle, xDisplay, xExtrudeBevel, xFuseCurve, xNull, Xorientation, xRadius, xRectangle, xRoundedCorners, xTriangle, xWeldingSeam

xStudio, a studio lighting rig. Will contain the following.

xStudioBox, xStudioInifinityWall, xStudioLight, xStudioReflector, xStudioRoom

xDeadline, a set of rendering nodes to submit jobs to Deadline (a render management solution by Thinkbox Software)

xSubmit, xDeadline, xOutput, xProxy, xConvert

Some things that are on the planning table after the first release, that I won't be able to finish in time.

xTemplate, a set of assets designed to make it easier to create assets.

xMaterial, a material with more standard options.

xBitmap, a recreation of the bitmap texture from 3dsMax.

In the far future, these are some ideas I have on my wish list.

xTransformer, a set of assets designed to recreate transformation effects.

xUI, a set of assets designed to create user interfaces in 2D.

xMech, assets for procedural mechanical objects (buttons, panels, gadgets.).

• Like 2

Sure. Here is a list, but the list isn't final as some assets might get pushed into a side beta download (as they're still work in progress).

Assets will be released in three packages.

xTools Core, the core set of assets used by all other packages. Will contain the following.

xAlign, xArrow, xArrow2D, xBend, xCentriod, xCircle, xDisplay, xExtrudeBevel, xFuseCurve, xNull, Xorientation, xRadius, xRectangle, xRoundedCorners, xTriangle, xWeldingSeam

xStudio, a studio lighting rig. Will contain the following.

xStudioBox, xStudioInifinityWall, xStudioLight, xStudioReflector, xStudioRoom

xDeadline, a set of rendering nodes to submit jobs to Deadline (a render management solution by Thinkbox Software)

xSubmit, xDeadline, xOutput, xProxy, xConvert

Some things that are on the planning table after the first release, that I won't be able to finish in time.

xTemplate, a set of assets designed to make it easier to create assets.

xMaterial, a material with more standard options.

xBitmap, a recreation of the bitmap texture from 3dsMax.

In the far future, these are some ideas I have on my wish list.

xTransformer, a set of assets designed to recreate transformation effects.

xUI, a set of assets designed to create user interfaces in 2D.

xMech, assets for procedural mechanical objects (buttons, panels, gadgets.).

I've done some RnD on UI/HUD type elements and would be willing to assist in any way in this area if you need

Would also love to see some type of procedural handheld camera system like this implemented: https://vimeo.com/channels/scooby5/28154948

I've gotten as far as implementing a rudimentary first person shooter type camera bob but would love a more featured tool.

Edited by jkunz07

I've done some RnD on UI/HUD type elements and would be willing to assist in any way in this area if you need

Would also love to see some type of procedural handheld camera system like this implemented: https://vimeo.com/ch...cooby5/28154948

I've gotten as far as implementing a rudimentary first person shooter type camera bob but would love a more featured tool.

Sure, all the more help the better.

I once create a camera rig in 3dsMax that used Character Studio. You would place out the foot steps of where the camera man would walk. Looks good to me. Something like that in Houdini would be cool.

Pretty amazing collection :) One thing that made me wonder though, what does xNull do? Does it have extra fields to hold values, etc?

xNull has 6 parameters called rules. If any of the 6 parameters are true then it will output null, with the option to create extra attributes like color, normal or texture.

It's a short hand asset for those who often create a Switch -> Null to disable geometry based upon some rule.

I've wanted to redo this asset to use param lists instead, as it's old and I created back before I knew about param lists ;)

Just to add some more information.

xTools will be free and unlocked. That means you'll be able to open the assets and see how everything works, or, you can copy an asset and rename it to use as the bases for your own asset.

For VEX related assets, all the source will be included and compiled versions might be included for optimization reasons.

Sure, all the more help the better.

I once create a camera rig in 3dsMax that used Character Studio. You would place out the foot steps of where the camera man would walk. Looks good to me. Something like that in Houdini would be cool.

I'll be updating this post with more camera examples when I have time. I just put up the first one - a way to control the camera's rotation with the mouse. I've found this useful to record handheld or jittery type camera rotations much faster than traditional keyframing.