RBD Object keeps moving/bouncing!

mitz711

I have a scene that i'm trying to achieve where a ball slams down into the ground like a crater and after it smashes into the ground, the surrounding area slowly comes down. so in the end its suppose to look like a circular concave hole.

But i can't seem to get something right. My rbd object keeps bouncing when i smashes into the ground. i want it to sit still once it gets into the ground like its stuck there. From what i know, if the bounce value of the rbd object and my rbdfracturedobect is both set to 0, it shouldn't be bouncing right? What else do I need to adjust in order for my sphere to stop moving around?

I've also animated the distance threshold in my attribute transfer node to get the concave effect.

If anyone could help me understand why my sphere is reacting like that I would be try grateful to them!

ground_shatter5.hipnc

Hi Amit

This might help - I changed the dopnet around a bit. The sphere doesn't currently stop dead - on it's collision it picks up some angular velocity and rolls away. If you want that THUD effect, it might be worth pre-simming/animating the sphere and feeding it back into the dopnet as a deforming non-active object.

ground_shatter6.hipnc

Hi Amit

This might help - I changed the dopnet around a bit. The sphere doesn't currently stop dead - on it's collision it picks up some angular velocity and rolls away. If you want that THUD effect, it might be worth pre-simming/animating the sphere and feeding it back into the dopnet as a deforming non-active object.

I'm trying my best to not animate the sphere as I want to achieve the effect dynamically.. but i see your point.. i'll animate it if i am still unable to find a solution..

also, i wanted to ask, I noticed you changed the bulletrbdsolver to rbdsolver.. is there a difference between them?

I'm trying my best to not animate the sphere as I want to achieve the effect dynamically.. but i see your point.. i'll animate it if i am still unable to find a solution..

also, i wanted to ask, I noticed you changed the bulletrbdsolver to rbdsolver.. is there a difference between them?

There is a difference, couldn't tell you exactly what thou.

In general: Bullet can be considerably quicker - especially when using implicit volumes. But with more complex pre-shattered geo, especially when using clustering I find RBD is more stable and is easier to direct.

If you swap the bullet solver back in it will work and you'll see the difference