Render Smoke Issue

lowvic

Hi im trying to render smoke and it seems to run of out memory when im trying to test render in render view or even if i use the hrender from terminal.

I cached out my smoke to bgeo.gz and it hit the 100mil voxels [913 224 540] about 1gb per frame size on disk and covers a distance of about 300units

So far i have tried,

-increasing volume step size from 1, 10 and 100

-test render at 1/2 HD rez

-changing pixel samples to 5 5

-volume shadow quality at 1.5

-microploygon method with 3 lights using depth map shadows of 1024

-default motion blur values

but i cant seem to get any tests...am i doing something wrong?

Specs of machine is 2.66ghz quad core and 8gb ram.

Is there another way i could render and maintain the level of detail?

Thanks

A good way of debugging this is to turn all the settings down, get it to render, then increase the settings slowly.

> getting the settings down

- Set your camera near clipping to a higher value like 1 or 2 (default is 0.001)

- The volume shadow quality should be smaller than 1. try 0.5

- Pixel samples 3x3 should work fine.

- the volume step size should'nt be smaller than your simulation div size.

- try reducing the shadow maps resolutions to 256

- "Motion factor" should be 1, this reduces the volume samples proportionally to the velocity.

- You can also turn off motion blur for now, just to see if it renders.

- Use a "basic smoke" shader. The Pyro Shader can be extremely slow if the settings are not right.

> increasing quality

You can boost the dicing/"shading quality multiplier" to 1.5-2 if you need more details.

increase the shadow map resolution to 512 then 1024

if you're losing density close to the camera, reduce the camera "near clipping"

Set your volume filter to "blackman" 1.25

how does that work for you ?

Edited by bunker
  • Like 1

A good way of debugging this is to turn all the settings down, get it to render, then increase the settings slowly.

> getting the settings down

- Set your camera near clipping to a higher value like 1 or 2 (default is 0.001)

- The volume shadow quality should be smaller than 1. try 0.5

- Pixel samples 3x3 should work fine.

- the volume step size should'nt be smaller than your simulation div size.

- try reducing the shadow maps resolutions to 256

- "Motion factor" should be 1, this reduces the volume samples proportionally to the velocity.

- You can also turn off motion blur for now, just to see if it renders.

- Use a "basic smoke" shader. The Pyro Shader can be extremely slow if the settings are not right.

> increasing quality

You can boost the dicing/"shading quality multiplier" to 1.5-2 if you need more details.

increase the shadow map resolution to 512 then 1024

if you're losing density close to the camera, reduce the camera "near clipping"

Set your volume filter to "blackman" 1.25

how does that work for you ?

I do manage to render test with my current settings when the smoke is smaller and further away from camera..

I am testing on a frame close to camera which is why it seems like the memory is running out.

I also tried changing tile size on the ROP but to no avail..

I will try the lower settings suggested and post a feedback..Thanks for the pointers.

Sounds like a classic issue: volumes closer to the camera require more samples because

the voxels occupy more camera space, and motion blur makes this even worse. motion factor set to 1, and a higher

camera near clipping should do the trick. You should also check your velocity values, maybe some voxels have

huge values - this sometimes happens when you turn turbulence to extreme values for example.

Edited by bunker

Sounds like a classic issue: volumes closer to the camera require more samples because

the voxels occupy more camera space, and motion blur makes this even worse. motion factor set to 1, and a higher

camera near clipping should do the trick. You should also check your velocity values, maybe some voxels have

huge values - this sometimes happens when you turn turbulence to extreme values for example.

Well i changed the camera clips and depth map resolution to 256 and it renders in preview but still cant render a frame from terminal.

Even tried basic smoke shader. My velocities could be crazy but wondering why it renders fine once i shift the scene to a machine with more RAM.

Also have some queries about writing out depth map shadows?

And is there a way to do delayed load with volumes, the help card does not say much?

Thanks

Well it seems once i step up in shadow map resolution it takes a significant amount of memory/time to render.

Could someone clarify how i could confirm if ticking Transparent Shadows is rendering a "deep shad map" as opposed to it being turned off?

By running a test render and looking at the files in mplay shows the difference in values and file sizes..but how could i confirm this before going about writing an entire sequence out?

Or is there another setting i might be missing (from mantra rop/light parameter)?