lost in Translation ..

zarti

hi everyone !

what im trying to do( with python )actually is this : im trying to transfer baked animations from obj level to sop level onto a transform sop .

as far as i could read from hou section of docs it looks like 'asCode' is the way to go .

but my question is this other one ;

if i can easily copy( and read )channelData from parameters , How can i , with the same ease , 'paste' those data to the other node ??

is it possible ?

i presume , building a chop net with fetch chops for each parameter tuples is another solution ,

but in this case id prefer a clean and stright Paste-method ..

thanks for any help !

what im trying to do( with python )actually is this : im trying to transfer baked animations from obj level to sop level onto a transform sop .

Hi,

Why are you using python for this instead of just chops? Is your baked animation already saved as channel data? You could just use a file CHOP and then in the transform SOP add an expression to your transform channels pointing to the file CHOP. Even better, if you drag the specific channel from a motion view pane onto a parameter (tx for instance) houdini opens a little dialog box allowing you to choose between referencing options.

Cheers

hi Rafael and thanks for your reply !

actually im importing a simple simulation ( done in another app ) in fbx format . since every piece comes as an object , im trying initially to 'transfer' baked keyframes into sop transform nodes . so , this is an en-mass procedure ..

.. and thats why i find the parmTuple.asCode() somehow inapropriate for my case . also hou module lets me easily pass tuples into Clipboard but i cannot find a simple way ( so to speak ) to pass again those keyframes into transform sops . i can read the keyframes using clipboardContainer() , .. those are there .

also data doesnt exist yet as channels ( if by that you mean having those available in chop context )

maybe i need to re-create those keyframes 'one-by-one' in python if such 'function' doesnt exist yet .

--

note : this is a test im doing mostly for learning and exploring python capabilities in houdini .

hi Rafael and thanks for your reply !

actually im importing a simple simulation ( done in another app ) in fbx format . since every piece comes as an object , im trying initially to 'transfer' baked keyframes into sop transform nodes . so , this is an en-mass procedure ..

.. and thats why i find the parmTuple.asCode() somehow inapropriate for my case . also hou module lets me easily pass tuples into Clipboard but i cannot find a simple way ( so to speak ) to pass again those keyframes into transform sops . i can read the keyframes using clipboardContainer() , .. those are there .

also data doesnt exist yet as channels ( if by that you mean having those available in chop context )

maybe i need to re-create those keyframes 'one-by-one' in python if such 'function' doesnt exist yet .

--

note : this is a test im doing mostly for learning and exploring python capabilities in houdini .

I see... you could import your fbx into houdini then use the geometry chop to turn the baked animation into channel data, have you tried that?

I was looking into the HOM reference and there's this object that could have been suitable for parsing animation data in the FBX:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.1/hom/hou/Track

The issue is that it's read-only unless you extend it...

Another more interesting possibility is this example in the cookbook:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.1/hom/cookbook/xforms_from_disk/

Cheers