exporting parameters in VOPs

fixxorion

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to create a simple POP that does little more than export an attribute...like the Attribute POP. When creating the parameter in VOPs, I check the export button. When I'm in POPs and middle click over the POP I created I can see my attribute. However, when I try to use it in another POP...it always gives an error. What gives?!?

Hope someone knows what's goin on here...

Thanks,

fixxorion

You have to use an attribute POP after your custom vex POP to create an attribute mapping. Only then can you use the $my_var directly in subsequent POPs.

Just insert an attribute POP. For the name of the attribute use the name of your attribute. Then in the value parameter, use the $MY_ATTR in upper case. If it is a 3 element variable, then you need to append a 0 1 or 2 after the $MY_ATTR like $MY_ATTR0 to put in the first component. If it is a vector, then X Y Z instead of 0 1 or 2.

If you don't want to use the attribute POP, then you have to use the poppoint() function which is slower to access the info.

-jeff

Thanks for all the help on this!

puma.snyder: I tried the AddAttrib VOP, but that didn't seem to do it.

old school: It's rather dissapointing that you have to add another POP like that. Although it makes sense, it seems a bit limiting. I guess the only way is to create an OTL with the attribute POP inside, so that everything is self-contained.

Well, that really solves my problem...thanks so much!

fixxorion