DSM Motion Blur

I notice that I get a Pz and an Of channel in my .rat's when I render a DSM in mantra. I have motion blur turned on. It appears correctly in the Of channel, but not the Pz channel.

There might be an obvious answer to this question....

Is Pz capable of being motion blurred?

I guess what I'm really asking is whether it's even possible to visualize the motion blur in the Pz channel, since Pz stores depth information strictly. If it's not possible, which channel can I investigate to make sure motion-blur is being calculated correctly? Is it the depth-complexity channel?

From Andrew Clinton:

Pz, Of, and Depth-complexity should be the full set of channels available in a DSM, so I think you're seeing everything that's there. Motion blur in DSM images works by averaging the time samples within a pixel - which in the case of a DSM, requires merging multiple deep sample lists. This operation discards the time values, so the motion blur becomes 'baked' into the DSM - which will make it difficult to use a motion blurred DSM for self-shadowing.

For Pz, the display just shows the first sample in the list (the nearest). With motion blur, the nearest Pz will be the nearest out of all the time samples that were merged for that pixel, which is why you wouldn't see motion blur in this channel the way you would for Of which is averaged.

Hey Frankie,

I'm sure you've already found them by now, but DCMs (Deep Camera Maps) should be able to handle a sorting out Of with Motion Blur at a given depth. DCM's store the value not only just at a pixel, but as an entire 3d image from the cameras perspective. This means you can pull the Opacity out of the DCM at any depth you need! It was developed with Volumetrics in mind, but it should be able to handle MB as well.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.1/rendering/deepshadowmaps

cheers,

-j