maintain volume detail w pyro initial data

magi

Hello,

I have a sop network of a volume sphere where I add some noise via a volumevop as per the pyroclastic noise thread. My volume in this sop network looks great, it has a lot of detail!

Now I want to use this detailed volume as the source and initial data for density of my pyro smoke. When I set the detailed volume sop path as my initial data on the pyro smoke object, it looks very blurry in dops. I even tried matching the same resolution as my iso-offset in my sop network. Still in dops my volume looks blurry and all the detail is lost on the start frame?

Am I missing a step?

thanks

Edited by magi

ok after posting this I went back and tried something different. I used a plain jane smoke container and it looks to be behaving. I orginalally used pyro because it has cool noise stuff like turbulence, dissipation, confinement, etc

I have 2 questions:

1-Is there a post somewhere that show's how to set these (noise, dissipation, disturbance) things up with stock smoke solver?

2-Is is possible to isolate dissipation and noise only when a collision with another volume happens?

Thanks

Hey,

If you look into the pyro solver you'll see that it's just the smoke solver with extra gas nodes connected to it.

So you can have a look at what they are doing.

The resolution issue you have is probably because your source volume sphere's bounding box is just around the object, where as when you start the pyro it's in a much bigger container, so the resolution is spread. If you have the auto resize node connected you'll see on the second frame you'll get a bit more res when it bounds to the current density.

Also I'd suggest using the "Source Fluid SOP". What you are doing is fine, but this will also give you everything you need (you can jump into that as well to see what it's doing).

Hope this helps

Christian