Multiple State Changes In Dops

Candide

Hi There,

I am attempting to create a scene that will procedurally change an object's physical state based on emergent events (impacts for example).

I'm not too experienced with the dops context but I assume the sop solver is integral.

Here is a dummy scene (hardly worth posting) of a sphere about to hit a groundplane.

How could I set up a network that turned the sphere into a flip fluid when it hits the ground, and continues to evaluate as a flip fluid?

Ideally I would be hoping to extend this to various other dynamic solvers (smoke for example)

solid_to_fluid_test.hipnc

One of the solutions is to convert the output of dopnet (sphere2) in to source for fluid object using the shelf tool (flip fluid or emit particle fluid) and in source volume dop write expression dophassubdata($DOPNET,"sphere2","Impacts") in activation para to control activation based on collision (impacts data, take a look at hscript expressions)

If you have multiple objects (like sphere2) to convert in to fluids upon collision, keep the geo of objs which have Impacts data as input to source volume dop, once it is used as source , delete that geometry.

(sorry my net connection is too slow today to upload a file.)

Edited by sadhu

A scene file would really help. This is a little over my head.

I've been told to use a switch solver with an animated switchValue which makes sense for cloth-rbd sims, but I don't understand how to fully represent an abject as a flip fluid in dops (or how to change dop parms in the same way as I can change sop parms, to affect the switchValue by things like collision, sigh)

Any further help would be massively appreciated

Cloth and rbd objects have similar dop features but a fluid object is a completely different element, and has a completely different data representation. It would be better to split out the stages of your effect and set up a separate simulation for each state.

I agree with ikarus - the state changes you discuss are wholly different effects challenges; I'd recommend you break each state change into a distinct effect element to solve and then worry about synchronizing the shape on a particular frame/frames to blend together in comp later. If you're new to DOPs, you're going to have enough headaches trying to art-direct each element on its own, never mind trying to have them transmogrify in a single simulation