Simple help with gas collision from scratch

urlGrey

Hello.

Long time lurker first time caller. I was following the sidefx advanced tutorial on fluid solvers from scratch (http://www.sidefx.co...2200&Itemid=344), which has been ++useful and helped me understand a lot of the fundamentals and workings of these things in Houdini. He doesn't, however, go into *collisions* until the flip fluid-style setup, and I need help understanding collision implementation with my current gas dealio (jpg attached).

I understand I need an SDF volume (right?) and to use the appropriate non-divergent node, and I understand the data and fields and the solvers I've used so far. I tried making an SDF volume with a box and bringing it in via the sop scalar field node and trying to set up a collision field with it all, but I imagine that's more or less wrong.

Attached is a screen shot of the very simple setup I have so far (ignore the bypassed nodes) that just incorporates density and velocity with a pump thrown in.

Thanks for your help!

-Grey

(I also tried picking apart a dop network made from the pyro shelf tool and a rigid body, but, while it works, I don't know why:)

post-8993-0-04140200-1355407009_thumb.jp

Finally figured it out!

I overlooked an example file and just stumbled upon it last night. I pretty much just copied what they did in "SourceVorticlesAndCollision" without the vorticles. All I had to do was switch out the multisolver with a smoke solver (which I didn't think would work until I saw that example file), and bring in the collision objects as shown.

I guess it's nice that the smoke solver just handles it for you like that, but I'm still a teensy bit curious how you'd use the Collision Field to go about it 0.0

post-8993-0-86651000-1355659670_thumb.jp

the think is, if you are using smoke solver, then you are not building it from scratch, since it is already implemented there

but you are just doubleclick away from figuring out how

just dive into smoke solver to see how are the collisions set up