blendshape SOP question

jim c

I tried using the blendshape the other day and found that when setting the blend amount it seemed to produce the reverse effect unless I used negative values.

The way I created it was like so, on a biped character:

1) I scrubbed the timeline to problem pose (bent knee)

2) Added an edit SOP after the deformer, set it to sculpt mode, and adjusted the points in the calf region to bulge out a bit more

3) disconnected the edit SOP, added a blend sop before the deformer, and then re-inserted the edit SOP before the blend, so the blend now has two inputs, the original biped, and the adjusted biped with the edit SOP

4) adjust the blend of the edit - when moving from 0.0 to 1.0 it seems to move the geometry in the reverse of what I sculpted, i.e. the geo seems to move inwards instead of outwards. If I use negative values then I get the expected result.

Is this tio be expected, or is there some other problem with my geo? Is it possible that if my poly normals are facing inwards that I'd get this sort of behavior?

did you have non-deformed geometry plugged in second input of edit SOP while you were sculpting, that's quite important step, since you were sculpting on deformed geo but it is then used on non deformed one, sthe sculpt needs to use nondeformed as reference

No I didn't. I'll try that when I get home tonight. I should note that I did try the same technique with the Sculpt node and had the same problem. But I'll try again tonight. I got the idea from here:

goto ~6:37, he uses a sculpt node and is able to just plop it in, but it happens very fast so maybe I missed something.